Transmission Won't Shift Correctly to Park

Hi,

My transmission won't shift correctly to park, which caused me a lot of starting problems for a while until I realised that this was the problem. Now I have to press the "override" button and switch my gears to neutral to start the car. Any idea on how to fix this?

What year/make/model vehicle and how many miles?

Guessing, it sounds like a binding or stretched transmission shifter cable.

Last edited:
Oh oops sorry, Corolla 2000 VE, automatic with approx 230 000 KMs.

I just have to say that I really don't know much about cars at the moment but I'm willing to learn. I'm really handy and have an engineering background, so that should help. Do you know of a guide or something I could read about to get more info about this issue?

Thanks!

With high mileage, it is very likely a worn out/stretched transmission shifting cable causing the problem. When it eventually breaks, you will not be able to shift the transmission at all and you will not be able to drive the car. The car will need to be put on a lift and looked at from underneath to diagnose and repair. At this point there is no way to know for sure exactly what is wrong or what needs repairing/replacing until the car is looked at and diagnosed.

You may be able to find a video on YouTube showing the repair/replacement procedures for the shifting cable, but be forewarned, this is not an easy job at all. I've been in the automotive repair/maintenance industry for over 30 years and when the transmission shifting cable needed to be replaced on my own car, I paid an experienced professional automotive technician to make the repair. There are some things that are just not worth trying to tackle on your own without a vehicle lift, a complete set of tools and the knowledge/experience needed to make the repair.

A competent and honest professional automotive technician can really be a big help and it sounds like that's exactly what you need in this situation.

I hope this helps you out. Good luck with it.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
I see, thank you!

Wondering if it's possible to just tighten the cable instead of changing it? I don't mind paying someone to do it, as long as it's not an expensive fix.

Also, I have another small issue. My front corner light only works in "blinking" mode. In Canada, those lights are supposed to be always-on and one of them dosen't light up, except when blinking.

Any idea about this one?

Update:

I replaced the light, it works fine. I had no idea that the bulbs has 2 filaments. It makes sense now that one mode wouldn't work.

As for the transmission, it kind of got fixed by itself, I guess by using it. I still went to see a mechanics yesterday to get a general inspection and he told me, as you said, that it's either the transmission cable or the transmission lever IIRC. He suggested that I change the lever for now, and that should fix the issue.

The thing is that I looked on rockauto.com and could not find the lever in question, is this the correct term?