Trickle charge for Corolla 2014?

My Corolla has already eaten 2 OEM batteries in 4 years. I just got a fresh battery installed but was wondering if someone is using a trickle charger to maintain the battery? I drive short distances like half a mile for 5 days and then 5-10 miles on weekends.

You might actually have less miles than I do!
I’m just under 14k on a 2014 LE

Anyways, I had to replace my battery when the car turned two. Could’ve been replaced under warranty but I didn’t want another toyota battery.
I put an Interstate battery in, guaranteed 5 years! Cost me around $120. You can get a similar battery by Interstate at Costco for around $85, but they’re only guaranteed for 3 years.

You can check, or have someone check, the alternator voltage. I doubt this is your problem but it’s worth having it checked.
Toyota just uses cheap batteries.

I used to use a Battery Tender in my work vehicle a few years ago. They work well. You can semi permanently attach a wiring harness to your battery and then simply plug your car in when you get home. They’re safe, I have a few of them. Battery Tender has been around for years and is a trusted brand. Available at your local Walmart too!

Last edited:
You might actually have less miles than I do!
I’m just under 14k on a 2014 LE

Anyways, I had to replace my battery when the car turned two. Could’ve been replaced under warranty but I didn’t want another toyota battery.
I put an Interstate battery in, guaranteed 5 years! Cost me around $120. You can get a similar battery by Interstate at Costco for around $85, but they’re only guaranteed for 3 years.

You can check, or have someone check, the alternator voltage. I doubt this is your problem but it’s worth having it checked.

I used to use a Battery Tender in my work vehicle a few years ago. They work well. You can semi permanently attach a wiring harness to your battery and then simply plug your car in when you get home. They’re safe, I have a few of them. Battery Tender has been around for years and is a trusted brand. Available at your local Walmart too!
Thanks. I can try that. Do you need to protect the wires from the trickle charger so that they don't touch? Any experience with the in car DC chargers? I wonder if I have to keep the keys in the car for them to work.

Thanks. I can try that. Do you need to protect the wires from the trickle charger so that they don't touch? Any experience with the in car DC chargers? I wonder if I have to keep the keys in the car for them to work.
The Battery Tender should come with a protected cable that has a cap on the end for when it’s not in use.
I have used these for years on cars, trucks and motorcycles. They work great.
No, you don’t need to leave the keys. It’s just wires that hang off your battery. If you buy one, you’ll see what I’m talking about. You can always return it if it’s not for you.

I put an Interstate battery in, guaranteed 5 years!

That's funny because I work for Toyota and guess what? Batteries are delivered to our dealership by a green Interstate battery truck.

Toyota batteries are just re-branded Interstate batteries.