Trim Levels: LE vs. S

I test drove a 2014 Corolla today and really liked it. I think this is going to be my next car, but I have a quick question about the different trims. The model I drove was an S Plus, and the salesman told me that it drives differently than the LE because it has a sport suspension. Is this true? Does it really drive differently? I can't find any mention online of the S having a different suspension than the LE.

There are lots of differences between the S and the LE - and suspension wouldn't be the key one (Even if the suspension is the same, the 17-inch vs. 16-inch wheels probably change the ride/handling).

If you really wanted to confirm - drive an S-base and an LE base as those should both have the same 16-inch steel wheels (different hubcaps, but shouldn't affect handling).

Things to consider:

S has "Sport" Mode on the transmission.
S has different instrument cluster.
S has piano black instead of carbon fiber on the front bumper and different grille.
S can be bought in Blue Crush.
Base S has fogs and Base LE does not.
In the plus trim S Rims and much nicer (IMHO) and I think you get rear disk brakes (not that the car needs them).
S has softex seat bolsters with cloth inserts.
S interior is only black, black/blue, or black/amber while LE has black, ash, or ivory.

Probably a few other things I left out (Chrome exhaust tip, I think, but ...)

Last edited:
TigerHeli summarized it. S is more a different appearance and equipment package than a radically different model. Suspension supposedly tweaked a little differently to be slightly firmer but that comes with 17'' wheels anyway. (Base S only have 16'' in Canada, so the difference in driving is even less evident).

I believe the S also has different seats (not just different seat coverings) which might affect the drive as much as suspension changes.

Base S only has 16-inch wheels in the USA also.

The Corolla is a real oddity to me there are things I like better about all the different models and even the different colors.

Pretty much decided (for now) on an LE base (mainly for the lighter interior, but ...)

I like the alloy rims on the S better than the LE alloys, but I'm not crazy about 17's, and if I am going to put rims on the car, I'd rather buy something I like from TireRack or Discount, etc.

I like the "idea" of having the sport mode, but I doubt I would ever use it.

I like the S hubcaps better than the LE, but not enough to make a difference.

I like the look and layout of the LE instrument cluster much better, but I like that the S allows me to see OAT, odometer, trip odometer, and something else at the same time, while with the LE, I have OAT and have to choose between odometer and trip odometer.

I like the carbon fiber bumper on the LE, but I like the grille on the S.

I like having driving lights (fogs) on the car, but the Corolla really looks better with the air vents there. I'll probably upgrade to the Miromoto LED fogs regardless of what I get.

I like the turn signal indicators on the mirrors on the S - but not enough to rule out the LE.

I don't like the lip spoiler on the S - I wouldn't mind a wing spoiler, but they only offer those aftermarket.

Colors are about as bad for me. (I like blue, but the blue crush is more purple than I would prefer. I like red, but the red is a bit toned down. Black is too hot, white too hard to keep clean, silver/state/brown sugar are a bit too "beige/boring". Not sure what I think of the evergreen.

Most likely I'll end up with red or brown sugar, but ...

Thanks for all the info. Looking into everything a bit more, I think the S Plus trim is worth the increase in price for me. Has anybody bought an S Plus in the past few weeks? I was quoted $17,100 (not including freight, taxes, tags, dealer fees...) and was wondering if that is a good price or if I can expect to squeeze a bit more out of them.

For an S Plus without the Driver Convenience Package, it's a good price. You MIGHT be able to talk them down to $16.5k if the car has been sitting on the lot long enough.

Decisions! Decisions! :(
Plus don't froget to throw in the value/price equation.
Doesn't really factor in for me - It's maybe $500 more for a S Base than an LE Base, but I probably want driving lights (fogs), and it has those, so it saves me $125 over adding the bezels to the LE (assuming I add the Miromoto's - but less incentive to do that if it has OEM fogs already).

Doesn't really factor in for me - It's maybe $500 more for a S Base than an LE Base, but I probably want driving lights (fogs), and it has those, so it saves me $125 over adding the bezels to the LE (assuming I add the Miromoto's - but less incentive to do that if it has OEM fogs already).
That's what value (what you want) / price (what they force you to take) is ! It varies for each individual. Had I really wanted fogs when I bought my Eco, it would have been 1 400 C$, since they only came with alloys and moonroof... That might be sweet, or not, according to each one !

Thanks for all the info. Looking into everything a bit more, I think the S Plus trim is worth the increase in price for me. Has anybody bought an S Plus in the past few weeks? I was quoted $17,100 (not including freight, taxes, tags, dealer fees...) and was wondering if that is a good price or if I can expect to squeeze a bit more out of them.
How it that car equipped for $17,100? Have you tried Truecar.com? I saved over $3,000 (14%) off msrp.

Have you considered an S Premium instead of S Plus? For $700, you get heated seats:

SofTex ® -trimmed heated front seats
8-way power-adjustable driver’s seat
4-way adjustable front passenger seat with
seatback pocket

Has anybody bought an S Plus in the past few weeks? I was quoted $17,100 (not including freight, taxes, tags, dealer fees...) and was wondering if that is a good price or if I can expect to squeeze a bit more out of them.
https://www.truecar.com/prices-new/...355&incentiveIds=&trimId=263857&zipcode=30332

As Donabed said - in my area, I am showing $17,164 for an S Plus basic. There should include freight and dealer fees (I think) but NOT taxes or tags. And sometime the walk-up price on the dealer lots is a bit lower then TrueCar, sometimes not.