Trying to Get Car Fixed After Washboard Roads Seem to Have Unhinged/Loosened Parts

I took my car camping and had no choice but to drive over washboard/bumpy roads. These can be bad for suspension.

I went at a moderate speed and tried to avoid the major holes. Now I learn it's better to go either really fast or really slow.

Anyway, since then, the car seems to transmit bumps from the road a lot more. I feel every bump in the road. Also, the car shakes some so that I see the rear view mirror vibrate while driving.

I took it to the Toyota dealership and had them examine it, and they said the shocks and struts are fine and not leaking. They checked to see if certain things were still tight.

AFter they checked the tightness, the problem improved at least 50%.

So I'm planning to take it back to see if they can check/tighten it anymore.

- --
So, just wondering -
Has anyone else had problems with car parts becoming loose when driving on really bumpy roads?

I've heard washboard roads can be like a "liquid wrench" and unscrew stuff in the car. It felt like the car was going over a bunch of waves like a boat.

I just want my cute car back, want to take care of my baby. Love this car.

I hope this is just a temporary fixable problem. The shocks can't get worn out that fast. But things can definitely get a little unscrewed by that kind of road, I think. I just really really really hope I can get the car back to normal because it is otherwise such a pleasure to drive.

Did they check wheel alignment? Tire pressure? While shocks/struts shouldn't wear out so soon in reality they can blow at any moment.

Is the mirror itself loose?

One more thing- faster is not better for the car offroad. Just slow.

HF

Last edited:
Yes, absolutely -- I noticed when we lived in Florida (roads are JUNK down there), that everything started to rattle in our cars. The interior components got especially bad -- the ashtray door would rattle, speaker covers, etc. I also had to have my alignment done more often.

I'm not really sure if there's a solution there...avoid the big potholes and grin and bare it? It doesn't really matter how slow you go. Just keep a close eye on the suspension, we had to retighten random things like the tunnel brace (not suspension, but you get the point) and things like that frequently.