Turn the Headlights OFF

I recently bought, not only my first new car, but my first Toyota.

Does anyone know if there is a simple way to reconfigure/rewire the daytime running lights so that when I turn the lights to the off position, they go off? If I want daytime running lights (and I do), I'll turn them on and don't have an issue with this. But if I'm idling out in front of my house, or waiting for someone to exit a store or something, I want to turn the headlights completely off in order to communicate to other drivers at night that I'm not moving or intending on moving.

I would turn the engine off and save fuel and that way the lights turn off. Here in Canada when the parking brake is engaged it turns the DRL off. Not sure how it works in the U.S. but try pulling the brake and see.

RichardParronIII

2013 Toyota Corolla S
Cut pin 12 on the wiring harness behind your glove box. It's a blue wire right below a pink one on the right side. There's a thread on here somewhere about how to do it with pictures. I did it on my 2013 and LOVE it! The DRL's turn off and you have full control of your headlights. The automatic feature is disabled too. Love it!

Hmm...
I don't think mine do that. I've got the base model with very few bells and whistles (I had to haggle to get them to install cruise control for free).

My concern is that yours might be wired differently than mine.

Another option is to turn the car off, pull up the emergency brake handle exactly one notch, and then start the car. The lights will not turn on automatically (not sure about DRL but it works for non-DRL at night). The only downside is the parking brake chime will ring.

have you looked and see if there's a fuse for the DRL? besides a corolla and a camry, I own a silverado and there is a specific fuse for them. It wont mess with the light function.

Another option is to turn the car off, pull up the emergency brake handle exactly one notch, and then start the car. The lights will not turn on automatically (not sure about DRL but it works for non-DRL at night). The only downside is the parking brake chime will ring.
I am totally agree with you. You are 100% good here that just you turn the car off, pull up the emergency brake handle exactly one notch and then start the car.
I think will be helpful in this regard.