Vacuum Pump for Brake Booster

In the maintenance guide, Toyota suggests replacing the "vacuum pump (vane type) for brake booster" at 120k miles. I wonder why this part in particular is weak.

Any idea how much replacing the vacuum pump for brake booster will cost me when the time comes?

I gotta look, didn't know they used an electric vacuum pump as opposed to just hooking it in the manifold.

It is probably preventative maintenance. If it dies, you lose power brakes. I have no idea what the cost will be, nor the labor involved. You'd have to call Toyota for that.

I have no idea what the cost will be, nor the labor involved. You'd have to call Toyota for that.
I didn't really need to post to the forum just to learn that you don't know, but thanks for replying. lol

Seriously, if anyone has info on why the vacuum pump (vane type) for brake booster needs to be replaced at 120k, and what that might cost someday, it would be great to learn that. Thanks.

Last edited:
I answered why it needs to be replaced at 120k (preventative maintenance).

And you can call Toyota yourself and ask them what the cost will be. I'm not calling them for you.

It will need replacement to prevent possible power brake failure. Your cost to replace will vary depending on where you go. Call a few local shop and dealerships and ask for an estimate.lol

I looked at the brake booster in my 2014 and the line goes into the manifold. Possible that the vacuum pump is only on some models. (LE Eco only?)
I was actually just at another Toyota forum and he asked the same question. Someone said that it was a feature of the LE Eco and that other models don't have it.

I was actually just at another Toyota forum and he asked the same question. Someone said that it was a feature of the LE Eco and that other models don't have it.
Yes, I got a real answer there; pretty cool.

I'm unsure the proper etiquette, but I can post the link to the Toyota forum if it's ok.

Nailed it! Figured it would be on the LE Eco. Probably has to do with giving the engine the fuel efficiency it makes by keeping a consistent vacuum, better regulation of fuel. Thanks VTAK.

Last edited by a moderator: