VIDEO - How To Change Brake Fluid

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
This fluid is commonly neglected which is unfortunate as our lives are depending on its correct performance. Don't forget the brake fluid. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Brake fluid you do not fill it is a brake indicator telling you how much pad you got left. but every three years it must be bleed, if not you can get a turkey baster and do that from the top.

Also Brake fluid life shelf is not life time, once opened 1 year throw away

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
If the brake fluid level in the master cylinder drops, it can mean a leak somewhere, which can lead to very dangerous brake system failure. Brake fluid levels should always be maintained to the recommended full marks on the master cylinder. To check brake pads, pull the wheels and visually inspect.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Yes they can leak, but as well damage your disks/rotors, b/c you kept filling the brake fluid.

there is a minimal line, and if it goes below then you got that leak.

Remember not all are DIY'er's are you Scott? I ask are you a DIY'er?

I bet you will say yes at one time but not no? (Smiles) no pun intended

When the brake fluid level in the master cylinder drops it can be from one of the brake lines rupturing and leaking fluid, which should be immediately investigated. When there's a brake fluid leak it can result in a situation where you press on the brake pedal, but the car doesn't slow down. Not fun. We don't wait until the brake fluid drops below the minimum line on the master cylinder before investigating why the brake fluid level is dropping. Not safe.

I've been working on cars for over 35 years, 30 of them professionally. Read my profile. :thumbsup::)

fishycomics

Super Moderator
And you talk about what here. leaky brakes, when I thought this was about checking fluid. I guess there are a few ways to look at it.

Brakes wear, fluid level falls, yet you like to agree on that, correct?

SO lets look at it as no leaks. you see the level fall to minimum. you add fluid. you eventually change the pads. and before you know it you got a Spill in the front, why, you added brake fluid to the system?

Last edited:
fishycomics - You had said -

"
Brake fluid you do not fill it is a brake indicator telling you how much pad you got left.
Yes, brake fluid levels in the master cylinder will go down as brake pads wear, however we don't use this method for determining brake pad wear. To do that we must remove the wheels of the car for a visual inspection of the brake pads.

Then you said -

there is a minimal line, and if it goes below then you got that leak.
When brake fluid in the master cylinder drops, no matter where that level is showing on the master cylinder reservoir, be it just a bit lower than the full line or at the minimum line, etc., it matters not as this can indicate the presence of a brake fluid leak. The, "Minimum", line doesn't mean everything is just fine and there's no need to worry. It means that's the lowest the brake fluid level can be without the master cylinder potentially drawing air into the brake hydraulic system, which can lead to a soft brake pedal and a crash.

If the brake fluid level in the master cylinder drops it should always be immediately investigated to find out why that level has dropped. With brakes being such a critically important safety item, it is very important to diagnose any drop of brake fluid level in the master cylinder. Our very lives are dependent on properly functioning brakes.

Take care and have a good one. :thumbsup: :)

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Thank you for your opinion.

Today we have warning lights for brake fluid level, not many people realize that, yet not many do get out, inspect their cars when filling up. today they are more in a rush.

Never add fluid, unless you inspect the system that I agree with 100%, Since this was a general topic, and not a specific topic.

Brakes are not to overlooked, it is an important part of the car

I agree about inspecting brakes.... I done a few in my time to know what I am talking a bout Peace
fishycomics - You had said -

"Yes, brake fluid levels in the master cylinder will go down as brake pads wear, however we don't use this method for determining brake pad wear. To do that we must remove the wheels of the car for a visual inspection of the brake pads.

Then you said -

When brake fluid in the master cylinder drops, no matter where that level is showing on the master cylinder reservoir, be it just a bit lower than the full line or at the minimum line, etc., it matters not as this can indicate the presence of a brake fluid leak. The, "Minimum", line doesn't mean everything is just fine and there's no need to worry. It means that's the lowest the brake fluid level can be without the master cylinder potentially drawing air into the brake hydraulic system, which can lead to a soft brake pedal and a crash.

If the brake fluid level in the master cylinder drops it should always be immediately investigated to find out why that level has dropped. With brakes being such a critically important safety item, it is very important to diagnose any drop of brake fluid level in the master cylinder. Our very lives are dependent on properly functioning brakes.

Take care and have a good one. :thumbsup: :)

Vehicle warning lights are commonly known as, "dummy lights", because by the time they come on many times the damage has already been done.

A vehicle should never be driven with low brake fluid until the cause for it has been diagnosed and corrected if need be.