Warranty Issue 2016 Corolla - Window Trim

JesseG

So I went to roll down the front passenger window a little to allow the car to cool down quicker and the window didn't move at all, then it SLOWLY went down some. I noticed a "film" left behind on the window. All of the other windows roll up and down with no issues. I took the car in to our dealership and they told me the window trim along the bottom edge had come unglued and needed to be replaced. Of course they had to special order the part. Apparently the new trim has a different adhesive that doesn't come off like this. Anyone else experience this? It's been really hot in TX, but I park in a garage and never had anything like this happen before.

Neil

So I went to roll down the front passenger window a little to allow the car to cool down quicker and the window didn't move at all, then it SLOWLY went down some. I noticed a "film" left behind on the window. All of the other windows roll up and down with no issues. I took the car in to our dealership and they told me the window trim along the bottom edge had come unglued and needed to be replaced. Of course they had to special order the part. Apparently the new trim has a different adhesive that doesn't come off like this. Anyone else experience this? It's been really hot in TX, but I park in a garage and never had anything like this happen before.
Welcome to the new world of Toyota low-end quality. I was astonished at how cheaply constructed the Corollas have become after I traded in my 1993 Corolla (best car I've ever owned) after twenty years. I recently traded my 2012 (worst car I've ever owned, and I've owned only Corollas since 1987). So many design deficiencies with the '12, and the '16 improved on some of them, but the cheap materials and lack of refinement persist, so this is likely my last Corolla.

What a shame.

JesseG

Hi Neil! I can say that there is a difference between say a 1998 Toyota and a 2016. Some of that is probably cost cutting in order to stay competitive in today's car markets. We owned a 98 4Runner Limited for a long time before trading it in for my wife's 2015 RAV4.

I will always believe in Toyota quality though, even with their new vehicles. My new Corolla is terrific, and with a sticker price of ~21,000 it's hard to beat. Don't give up on the Corolla!

I'm willing to bet that the '93 Corolla didn't have 8 airbags, traction control, stability control and tire pressure monitoring. Good trade offs, IMO.
I had a '77 Corolla and I'm amazed that I lived to tell the tale :)

Can't say I experienced this issue. But I have a '14, so perhaps something was changed recently.
Welcome to the new world of Toyota low-end quality. I was astonished at how cheaply constructed the Corollas have become after I traded in my 1993 Corolla (best car I've ever owned) after twenty years. I recently traded my 2012 (worst car I've ever owned, and I've owned only Corollas since 1987). So many design deficiencies with the '12, and the '16 improved on some of them, but the cheap materials and lack of refinement persist, so this is likely my last Corolla.

What a shame.
I owned a '93 Prizm and an '01 Corolla before I got my current car, but I don't think the new one is that bad. With fuel and safety standards always increasing, something has to be cut to save weight. My main concern is the longevity of the CVT, which is still a bit of an unknown at this point. If you want to see cheap, sit in a '12 Civic. It makes the Corolla feel luxurious.

That said, the next-gen Corolla will be coming out of Mexico instead of the US, so I'd imagine quality is going to take a hit.

JesseG

Well I have an appt scheduled at my dealership tomorrow to get the window trim replaced. Wish me luck! I'm not thrilled about them taking the door panel off, but I don't have much choice.