Water pump & Alternator

Hello everyone!

My 09 has 145k miles and makes a rattling noise that gets louder with time. Each time it does that sound (first time @ +/- 30k miles) my Toyota dealer changed either the water pump or the alternator and it fixed the problem for a few months. Then, the rattle comes back.

So far, they changed the water pump 3 times and the alternator 2 times. I'm under the impression they're taking care of the symptom but not the fundamental problem... or is it that Toyota genuine parts are really poor quality?

This time I'll have to pay to get it repaired... Does anyone have any idea on what the problem could be?

Thanks!

ZeCorolla

I Love Corolla's!
Early 2009 model Corolla's had some faulty water pumps but that was fixed for the 2010 model. The dealer should be installing the updated model water pump unless they are somehow installing the bad units which I'm pretty sure don't exist anymore brand new. Otherwise, they may have been installing the pump wrong. As for the alternator, if they put too much tension on the serpentine belt, that can cause premature wear to the alternator pulley bearing which causes that rattling/grinding noise. Toyota Genuine parts are of good quality so I'd say it's the quality of the install that's ruining those parts.

Early 2009 model Corolla's had some faulty water pumps but that was fixed for the 2010 model. The dealer should be installing the updated model water pump unless they are somehow installing the bad units which I'm pretty sure don't exist anymore brand new. Otherwise, they may have been installing the pump wrong. As for the alternator, if they put too much tension on the serpentine belt, that can cause premature wear to the alternator pulley bearing which causes that rattling/grinding noise. Toyota Genuine parts are of good quality so I'd say it's the quality of the install that's ruining those parts.
Thank You ZeCorolla! I was thinking about going to another Toyota dealer, your answer confirms the need for a change. :)