Weird noise.... I'll try to describe.

My new to me 2015 LE makes a weird, intermittent noise. You know how sometimes a metal can might get negatively pressurized and then snap back into original form? A plastic water bottle might do the same, but this is clearly metallic in sound.

It seems to be coming from the rear of the car and I've not yet been able to isolate it to a specific set of conditions. I hear it once or twice a day and only at slow speeds.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? It's driving me nuts!

fishycomics

Super Moderator
When does this happen each time you star the car and the go, or during a warmed up drive?

it can be from over night brake oxidation on the rotors. is it that sound the brakes?

All good thoughts.

Heard it twice this morning, both times at slow speeds. It's cold today, 15*.

Doesn't feel or sound brake related. It's definitely not a "something rolling around" sound.

There is no way a mechanic could diagnose this without driving the car a substantial amount of time.

Shrug.

All good thoughts.

Heard it twice this morning, both times at slow speeds. It's cold today, 15*.

Doesn't feel or sound brake related. It's definitely not a "something rolling around" sound.

There is no way a mechanic could diagnose this without driving the car a substantial amount of time.

Shrug.
I still think it's a gas tank swelling up with the temperature changes.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Only on a move and never dd you say from a cold start or warm run? it sounds like you are saying any time you get in you got a noise and not sure how to pinpoint
Mine I pinpointed to dust in the drums and comes and goes.

A couple more data points. Today, I had the car running as I sat waiting for someone to return from a store. Heard the noise. So, it's happening both going down the road and sitting still.

And, it was cold. A miserable 15*.

Thanks to all who are still thinking about this.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
I keep a empty Gatorade bottle and that sucker pinged loud a POP. so that is what you are saying now this happens like said before?

Does it happen only on start ups so when you start the the car and it happens right off the bat, or say 30 minutes after start up? each time. if this happens within the start up to warmed up. we answered your question its deals with the Gas tank..

I keep a empty Gatorade bottle and that sucker pinged loud a POP. so that is what you are saying now this happens like said before?

Does it happen only on start ups so when you start the the car and it happens right off the bat, or say 30 minutes after start up? each time. if this happens within the start up to warmed up. we answered your question its deals with the Gas tank..
It is not nearly as predictable or reliable as you describe. Not ever heard it at start up, but who knows?

I tend to lean in your tank theory, but if it was that easy, wouldn't we be hearing from others saying, "I have that" or "it's common on these cars." After all, there are thousands of these on the road and I have the ONLY one?

It is not nearly as predictable or reliable as you describe. Not ever heard it at start up, but who knows?

I tend to lean in your tank theory, but if it was that easy, wouldn't we be hearing from others saying, "I have that" or "it's common on these cars." After all, there are thousands of these on the road and I have the ONLY one?
Your car was the last one built on a Friday before a three day weekend!
Just kidding!!

fishycomics

Super Moderator

not my theory Chris dentons

hard part is for us to guess, while you got the car in hand., I start wit ha empty trunk everything out . spare , jack etc. all out. if it happens then you can scratch that off the list and place back in everything. Possibly it is something under the car we do not know about and you are going to have to start ruling things out. maybe record the ride and post up? I know how frustrating it is we all do? and long story short, center top holder put something in there and for 3 months that noise drove me crazy looked all over etc, to one day say hey let me take this out and sure enough something so small sliding echoed enterly in a different area? so start checking things out
and keep is posted?

Back seat spring????

Do you hear the sound when you stop the car after a long drive and the sound of tick.......... tick.........................tick comes from the car. Is this sound is similar to what you hear while driving?

Do you hear the sound when you stop the car after a long drive and the sound of tick.......... tick.........................tick comes from the car. Is this sound is similar to what you hear while driving?
Not a tick. To best describe it, take an almost full can of soda and squeeze a dent into it. Then manipulate the can so that the dent pops out. The sound that results best describes my noise.

Not a tick. To best describe it, take an almost full can of soda and squeeze a dent into it. Then manipulate the can so that the dent pops out. The sound that results best describes my noise.
Forget it and drive, nothing gona happen to this. you should know that you are driving a COROLLA. The most reliable car ever.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
the exhaust has shields, you have one under the cat, and one by the rear muffler? see if your exhaust system is hanging any differently.

SO if this is super important each day you be here reporting.

1 a camera to record your sound I start with a list. and places put so we can at least say yeah its that gas tank, exhaust, back seat

Only thing I can say is again do you have any idea where in the car its happening Louder inside the back or outside? and where? and hat is around?

Too intermittent to try to record with a camera.

The only 2 things I can report as consistent, repeatable observables are that it happens both when going down the road and when sitting still in idle and that it seems to be coming from the passenger rear. Or driver rear.

I will inquire of the dealer, but I already know their answer, "Unable to duplicate."

fishycomics

Super Moderator
If what you just said comes either driver or pass in there rear.

Your traction control, think it can be that and it relates to the transmission and engine, knowing its a slip control mechanism thingy.

try turning the VSC off for the day?

Well whatever it is be sure to post it when you find out. I see people posting problems but never a follow up when corrected. You got my curiosity going now. :)

If what you just said comes either driver or pass in there rear.

Your traction control, think it can be that and it relates to the transmission and engine, knowing its a slip control mechanism thingy.

try turning the VSC off for the day?
Worth a try. Thanks for the idea. But remember, it occurs when I am parked with the engine running, too.

My car makes a weird noise that I've heard occassionally when driving slow. Like a tick tick that happens at a frequency correlated or proportional to speed. For example slower as Im about to stop. I have a borla exhaust now and I forgot about it. Seeing this thread reminded me. My uncle thought maybe it was brake related or heat Shield near muffler area. It's definitely low and rear and a ticking or clicking sound.

I no longer hear the sound after my tire was repaired. It is more difficult now with exhaust, to distinguish or hear noises above the exhaust. Yesterday I was driving quite a bit down bumpy and crappy roads. I could have sworn I thought I heard a metallic clank once or twice, and I swear it feels like my car is more loose, like it rolls and dives side to side with turns more than normal after the tower bars were installed. I checked the bolts on the front strut bar and tightened them. I'm unable to check the rear without help. My uncle didn't have a torque wrench to tighten them under car so he just did as tight as possible. I'm either just paranoid that something happened and it didn't or maybe they could have loosened up under car somehow? He said even if they weren't perfect torqued I should be fine because of type of bolts they are? everything else seems secure. I can't hear any thing else while driving down street today. It just swear the handling feels a bit off. I looked like a fool going up and down block turning wheels left and right nonstop lol

that's nothing, every other day the car comes up with a new knocking sound inside the cabin, sounds like a bee trapped inside the car and the front doors, oh man the front doors, they sound like they are coming apart. i had the same noise on the rear doors until i took them apart and find out that there is a hole behind the plastic door covers. it's hard to explain but there is a part of the door thats not bridged to the upper part of it, so the metal vibrates all the time. i fixed that issue with dampening tape and building a bridge between the two parts. that fixed up the rattling sound coming from the rear doors. now i have to do the same for the front doors. but i can't get rid of the buzzing sound that seems to come from the left pillar or somewhere around the light in the middle of the roof.