what should i do with this matrix i just got?

im new here! altho ive been a corolla fan my whole driving life (first car was an 87 fx)

so i bought an 03 matrix xrs 6 speed with a hydrolocked engine, but everything else in really good shape, for $500

its got a broken rod and hole in the block. i was thinking of parting it out, but really hate to because ive always wanted a matrix for myself, and itd be a shame to take it apart due to its good condition. so my thoughts are get a rebuilt engine, a used low mielage engine, or pull one from the junkyard and rebuild it myself (with the help.of the machine shop ofc).

im.kind of leaning twards the rebuild myself route, because id like the experience and also the cost is a factor. with the cost of a used or rebuilt engine plus the price i paid,.i could probably find a running matrix without having to do the work.

my main question is how hard would it be to swap the 2zz engine with a 1zz? not sure if i can find a 2zz at the junkyard, and id prefer the fuel economy of the 1zz rather than the proformance of the 2zz. i would be keeping the 6 speed however due to the issues with this generations 5 speed.

other than obvious things like the ecu and manifolds, is there anythibg else i would need to swap? what years of corolla should i look for the doner?

thanks!

Hello mate!

First off, I would kill to have a matrix XRS. Most people do the swap the other way, from an S to an XRS. That being said, I understand about wanting to have the fuel economy, as the XRS models REQUIRE premium.

I bought a salvage car at auction to rebuild my turborolla (also hydrolocked). I bought it for 1500, but after taxes, auction fees, and delivery fees it was 3200. So, basically, prepare yourself for hidden costs lol. You could get a 1ZZ engine and tranny from a junkyard but most of them are missing valve covers which means the rest of the internals are rusted to bits.

Forget finding a 2ZZ at the junkyard, there were only 2500 XRS models sold in North America. If you can find one of those jdm stores they might have a line on a jdm motor but you are looking at 2000$.

So, to do the swap, you need the complete engine (including headers and intake), ECU, engine harness, and air box. You may need a new rear motor mount as well, I am not sure. I thiiiiink that the exhaust should line up at the donut gasket but you may have to cut/weld to fit.

Also, for used engines, most people lie about how much mileage they have. A buddy of mine got one from ebay claimed 80k we opened it up and more like 380k. Was definitely burning oil.

For the donor car, you can use anything 2003-2008, but I recommend 2005-2008 because they have the updated piston design where you won't have to worry about burning oil like everything 04 and below. Unless you plan on rebuilding the engine anyways, in which case you can drill new oil return holes in the pistons.

Oh, not sure how the 1ZZ ecu would deal with the 6spd as the transmission harness is attached to the engine harness and to my knowledge the 1ZZ never came with the 6spd. If you are getting a donor car I would just swap in the 4spd auto and be done with it. If you are just buying pieces I am parting out a 03S and can supply the engine harness and ECU, as well as most of a 1ZZ.