What's inside a Catalytic Converter?

I chopped open the catalytic converter on my Corolla to see whats inside and how it works. Here's a video:

The catalytic converter is located between the manifold and resonator in the exhaust system. Its purpose is to convert toxic gasses from the exhaust stream into less harmful gases.

There's an oxygen sensor behind it for the ECU to monitor catalytic converter performance.

Grinding it open:

Inside there is a honey comb shaped ceramic membrane coated with precious metals. That's what makes them so expensive.

The precious metals act as a catalyst, encouraging a reaction to occur from toxic gasses to less harmful gasses in two stages, reduction and oxidation.

The ECU controls the air to fuel ratio with the first sensor before the catalytic converter. It must be 14:1 for optimal combustion and catalytic converter performance. The rear oxygen sensor ensures enough oxygen exits the converter and that it is working properly. Otherwise you'll get a P0420 or P0421.

The previous metal in this case happens to be Palladium. Its a critical component for hydrogen fuel cells as well.

Back when I first looked up this metal in 2007 the price was around $100 per troy ounce, now it is approaching $900 per troy ounce. phew pricy.