Wheel Cylinder Problem - Brakes - Blows Out

I have replaced my drums, brake shoes, front brake pads and rear wheel cylinders on my Toyota Corolla. The brakes were really bad and needed repair.

The problem with the brakes was that the passenger side back wheel cylinder overreached until it leaked fluid. I heard this was a bad cylinder. I also heard you replace them in pairs.

I put the new one on and put everything together. Upon bleeding the brakes and trying them from a started engine, the back right cylinder blew out again. I think its faulty so I return it and get another. The left wheel cylinder didn't blow out so I leave it.

Upon my second passenger rear wheel cylinder installation, bleed, and trial, it blows out again.

What could be causing my wheel cylinder to blow out?

Am I supposed to center something? Could the shoes be placed wrong? Weak spring?

I am open to suggestions. Thanks.

IFMJohn

Springs have no effect on this. The wheel cylinder is simply traveling too far. That's the end of the story. This is not caused by a bad wheel cylinder.

When you say it blows out, do you have the brake drum on the vehicle?

Brakes - cylinder blows out

Both cylinder over extensions occurred after I bled them and had the drum rotors on. I put tires on and started the car. I started the engine.

The first one blew out and leaked in place.

The second one leaked out in place.

I barely fit the drums over the shoes so I don't think it was too far out.

I notice the right side of the cylinder pushes out too far.

These are parts from OReillys. Could a better part be the answer?

IFMJohn

Coming from a guy who worked at oreillys and would tell customers which of our items were crap, I've never had a wheel cylinder come back.

So, the piston is popping out of the wheel cylinder or it is just leaking fluid?

The piston comes out pretty far and that is where the fluid is coming from.

Now I haven't seen it do it with the drum rotor off.

Can I just press this back in and try again?

IFMJohn

Can you? Maybe. You'd have to get the seal to sit right.

If the piston is overextending in the bore then it can only be a few issues. One piston is seized, you put the brake system together incorrectly, or worn out pads and drums. You eliminated the worn out drums and rotors. One piston could be seized but that's highly unlikely that both of the wheel cylinders that you got had seized pistons.

The adjuster that keeps the shoes a certain length apart with a wheel screw?

Maybe the spring here?

What keeps this piston from coming too far out?

Why does the other side stay in?

Could something on the left shoe be hung and keeping it rigid when together?

I can move the whole assembly slightly before I put the drum rotor on.

Use Photobucket for the pictures and drop the link here. Attachments rarely work right (and only work for insanely small pictures that would be hard for us to see).

I want to say that a perch is bent or that a shoe was not installed properly (or that you may possibly have gotten the wrong shoes), but get the pictures up here so that we can see what is going on.

If you can barely get the drum on, that tells me you have the adjuster set properly, so the issue lies somewhere in the upper half of the assembly.

Perch:

If it isn't too late to get your old shoes out of the trash, take the assembly apart, and check to make sure that everything matches between the old and new shoes, specifically where they perch inside the wheel cylinder pistons.

Pic of cylinder

This was from last night. Cylinder shows pushed out to right. Is the left held by something?

When the adjuster spring is off. They both fall to their side.

I will take more pics when the sun comes up.

Sorry. I used photo bucket but must have used site link wrong here. I used the picture icon for the image referral link at photo bucket.

My link: <iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s44.photobucket.com/user/Quikpic/embed/slideshow/"></iframe>

Yes, that's right. The right boot is askew and not sealed properly due to the rod pushing it out. That's the problem.

Scott - I believe they are made in China. Should I use different? Its from OReillys.

Just a note: I notice this is teh original problem with the original cylinder that was on here.

Adjusting the tensioner all the way down will not help. One piston is moving too far in the bore. Period. End of story.

You have to figure out why. I'd be looking to see if something is causing the other side of the brake assembly to be seized. If the left piston won't move, the right piston will move 2x as much as it is supposed to and cause this issue.

To be honest, I firmly believe in purchasing USA made products whenever possible.

In this case, the quality will most likely be the same. They are literally 2 seals, 2 dust boots, metal and a spring. Even if you find an assembled in the USA wheel cylinder, I'd be surprised to see one that was not "Assembled in the USA using Made in china components".

Okay. I agree. I will take her down again and look for anything on the left that stops the piston from coming out or freezes that shoe.

What could be causing my wheel cylinder to blow out?

Am I supposed to center something? Could the shoes be placed wrong? Weak spring?

I am open to suggestions. Thanks.
Same thing happened to us. Try redoing the brake shoes making sure that the bottom is angled and tucked behind the bolt.

Photo 11 on this site shows how it looks. The video around 11:00 also shows how it tucks in.

http://photos.breakitandlearn.com/?page_id=199

Hope that helps.

Wow, thanks PLBear. I know I'm not behind that bolt by looking at your picture.

I'm going to change that and post later.

I know that is going to be good info.

Wow, thanks PLBear. I know I'm not behind that bolt by looking at your picture.

I'm going to change that and post later.

I know that is going to be good info.
That is most likely your issue. Let us know if that fixes it!

Independent AMSOIL Dealer, Contact me to get the world's best oil for prices lower than brands like Mobil1 and Royal Purple!

I went out and changed both drum sets. It was the toe if the brake shoes which was outside the lower plate.

Once I changed this, I had to really screw in the adjuster screw.

Put the tires on and bleed them.

Stops on a dime. No leaking issues.

Thanks Everyone! That really helped. This is my only car so I was stuck for a bit.

Thanks a million. Great call on the problem.