Window Tinting

This may be a really stupid question but I think that my car would look so much better with darker windows. It seems that they already have a slight tint to them but fairly light. If I take my car to a company for tinting - do they remove the existing tint or just apply over? Any advice on finding a reputable company to do it? Anything I should avoid? I seem to notice older cars on the road with bubbles and all sorts of ugliness going on. Also, I think CA may have laws about tinting the front/side windows. I'll have to check on that I suppose.
Thanks!

05corolla

Super Moderator
This may be a really stupid question but I think that my car would look so much better with darker windows. It seems that they already have a slight tint to them but fairly light. If I take my car to a company for tinting - do they remove the existing tint or just apply over? Any advice on finding a reputable company to do it? Anything I should avoid? I seem to notice older cars on the road with bubbles and all sorts of ugliness going on. Also, I think CA may have laws about tinting the front/side windows. I'll have to check on that I suppose.
Thanks!
I have Limo (5%) on the back 3 and 20% on the sides. Been almost a year now and have yet to be pulled over. In MI its officers discretion from what I hear. Good friend is a state trooper. IMO makes the car look 10x better I'll get a pic up

Window tint laws are not up to the officers discretion. There are specific percentages of tint that are legal and you can get an expensive ticket for windows that have too dark a tint.

This is not about the authorities being party-poopers or anything like that. With the picture above, imagine that you are a police officer pulling such a car over, you walk up to the car and you can't see a blessed thing inside it, whether someone is readying a gun to shoot into your face and kill you or whatever. This is why there are window tint laws. It might not be wise to antagonize a police officer with window tint that is too dark, unless of course you're rich and can afford to pay expensive tickets? lol :)

There is a small amount in the glass, aftermarket tinting helps protect the interior from fading and provides faster cool-down when A?C is operating. I am a big fan. Not literally.

i always tell people to find a ziebart. they're pretty scarce these days and none of them seem to do their own work anymore but they are phenomenal at getting you the product and hookign you up with the people to help on stuff like this. i had them do my tacoma and its awesome

Good info from a California Highway Patrol officer.

Can I put after-market tinting on the windows of my vehicle?
The main requirements for legal window tinting in California are:

The windshield and front driver's side and passenger's side windows cannot receive any aftermarket tinting.
If the rear window of a vehicle is tinted, the vehicle must have outside rearview mirrors on both sides.
The law prohibits any person from driving any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows, with certain limited exceptions.

However, legislation signed into law effective January 1, 1999, exempts from the above prohibition specified clear, colorless, and transparent material that is installed, affixed, or applied to the front driver and passenger side windows for the specific purpose of reducing ultraviolet rays. If, as, or when this material becomes torn, bubbled or otherwise worn, it must be removed or replaced.

05corolla

Super Moderator
Window tint laws are not up to the officers discretion. There are specific percentages of tint that are legal and you can get an expensive ticket for windows that have too dark a tint.

This is not about the authorities being party-poopers or anything like that. With the picture above, imagine that you are a police officer pulling such a car over, you walk up to the car and you can't see a blessed thing inside it, whether someone is readying a gun to shoot into your face and kill you or whatever. This is why there are window tint laws. It might not be wise to antagonize a police officer with window tint that is too dark, unless of course you're rich and can afford to pay expensive tickets? lol :)
Yes they are talked to a MI State Trooper what he said also legaip l tint in a 4" striip on the side window which looks stupid IMO

When i lived in CA, i got pulled over so many times for tinted windows. I think legal in CA is 3sides in rear can be dark as it can be but front side glass must be visual by outside. Front windshield is prohibited. But now i'm living in Philippines so i can do anything i want to do on it. I have 5% tint all the way around and 35% windshield. Impossible to see threw inside even on day light for safety from Police & other thief. If Police see a foreigner driving, they will pull over and ask for money. Excuses are very funny. No food, no cigs, no life, very hot, etc. Thats why most people hire drivers but I dont' think driver is necessary for Corolla. :)

my 2013 s had the rear tinted already. not sure what percentage. It makes the car look alo better. the car is white and with tinted windows it just looks good. and yes all the other things like keeping the veh cool and protected ETC is also a good reason to do it. I am all for keeping any tint legal, it just makes sense and saves money.

I don't pull people over for that in KY. But it's best to go legal if u can. Mine are dark due to driving back and forth to work in a uniform .... :/

Don't ride dirty.

Use a razor blade on a small unnoticeable part of your window, If it cuts they are already tinted and will have to be removed first.
If nothing happens then they are factory tint if tinted at all.
You will have to read the local laws to see what they are in the area you will drive in the most.
A good tint shop will have a tint tester and will be able to adjust and fit your needs. :yes:

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Tinting is becoming more popular as well more Illegal, careful with your state as it will get you pulled over, more often, coming to a state near you.

What looks like tint is not tinted that is 35.5 % tint on one window only, want to know the other Just ask,

Last edited:
Hello

Tinting your car the amount of heat in your car – great if you don’t have air conditioning,Reduce the amount of energy and gas you are using.
visit tint college

3M/en_US/automotive-window-solutions-us/automotive-window-film-simulator/
This site will good info what film u need that fit your budget I tint mine with colot stable is the best 20% and 35% front in Cali no problem what's ever my car black on black car look very sharp and it stays cooet compare to no tinting held a lot