Would You Buy Another Toyota?

Would You Buy Another Toyota?

as a mod on here, i have heard of many-many complaints. i also have heard of many people swearing to never own another Toyota again. this poll isn’t to beat Toyota down, nor to belittle the brand. i am simply hoping this poll gets to the eyes of those in Toyota corporate.

Welcome all the replies!

Actually, I have bought/owned 5 Toyotas since 1971

71 Corona Mark II*
91 Camry
92 Previa*
2010 Corolla
2013 Corolla
2017 Corolla
*no longer have

All of these cars were bought new.
The first 3 cars all have or had well over 200,000 miles on them - I still have the 91 Camry will almost 290,000 miles and it is used daily.
For DIYers, Toyotas are much easier to work on as the most frequently replaced parts and filters are easy to access. All these cars use mainly 8/10/12/14 mm wrenches to do 90% of maintenance - this is a plus compared with Hondas and Nissans.
I could/can change the oil/filter is less that 30 minutes on these cars without jacking up the front (though it is easier when doing so with the Corollas).

These are high production cars so the after market offers many, many replacement parts that are new or rebuilt at prices far below what the dealers wants. Same for accessories and special mod kits.

I have never had any transmission problems (manual or automatic) with a Toyota, not even the high mileage ones.

On the negative side:
1. The front seats are terrible - no or little lumbar support. My back aches on medium to long trips.
2. The owners manual could include more information and a better index.
3. The front pillars on the sides of the windshields are right in the drivers line of side vision so you have to look around them.
4. Rear window visibility on the sedans is too high (seems a problem with most cars these days). Parallel parking is thus more difficult.
5. No dipsticks for the automatic transmissions in late models, Corollas and others.
6. While Toyota may be phasing out the cartridge oil filter, it is still found on a few 2017 models. Anyway, the use of a plastic cartridge holder was a bad engineering decision, even though using a disposable filter might have been a good idea.

Overall, would I buy another? Probably, at least it is the first dealer that I would consider my next car.

Yes.

'92 Corolla
'98 Corolla
'02 Tacoma
'96 Camry
'15 Corolla

Only have the '15 Corolla. Tacoma got totaled in April by a huge Pecan tree limb. '96 Camry timing belt went out in 2011, sold it. '98 Corolla was sold when I got the Camry in 2005. '92 Corolla was totaled by my husband in '99.

2005 Corolla LE, manual tranny, 175K miles, wrecked, no issues
2010 Corolla, manual tranny, 235K miles, wrecked
2015 4Runner, 20K, no issues so far
2016 Corolla LE Eco, 50K, no issues so far
Until Toyota lets me down, I'll never buy another brand. I've never once, with any of my Toyota's, even seen a "Check Engine" light. Only issue I ever had was with the 2010, when a hose fell off a sewage truck, and my wife ran over the metal connection on the end of it (true story). A hub and alignment, but that wasn't the car's fault.

Neil

Four Corollas, all purchased new, beginning with 1988 model. Subsequently acquired 1993, 2012, and 2016 models.

The 1993 was the best car I've ever owned, even though it suffered some premature (in my opinion) failures:

Starter at 56,000 m.
Water pump, 63,400 m.
Heater blower motor, 65,000 m.
Engine mount, 68,500 m.
Rear hub and bearing assembly, 68,570 m.
A/C died, took four visits to dealer to properly repair, 71,000 -79,000 m.

Despite these failures, the car served well for twenty years, and what I've heard since from those in the know, was that the early 90s were probably the best years for the Corolla.

The 2012 Corolla was the WORST car I've ever had, and I was shocked at the decline in quality in the twenty years since my first one. Incredibly bad design features, as well. Having previously owned only manual shift cars, this Corolla was virtually undriveable, with its abysmal interface of Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) and transmission. How they got that so wrong is beyond me.

The 2016 model I currently own is somewhat improved in shifting quality, but still nothing close to any car I've ever owned. Also, the quality of materials, especially in the interior, has declined even further since the 2012 model, which, combined with the almost complete lack of fasteners used in assembly, leaves me to suffer the highest level of squeaks and rattles I've ever experienced. Shame on you, Toyota.

Anyway, as a result of the quality issues and the downright unsafe body design ( poor outward visibility, an unfortunate trend across all makes these days), I think I'm done with Corollas, perhaps with Toyotas in general.

2002 Toyota Tacoma 334K miles
2004 Highlander 220K miles
2014 Camry 24K miles
2017 Rolla iM 13K miles

Ill buy a Toy anytime, w my EyE's Closed !

I've been sold on Toyotas since 1984.

I bought my first new car (a Toyota Tercel). Unfortunately it was stolen and taken for a joy ride so went to the same dealer

My 2nd new Toyota was my favorite. Also a tercel; silver, sleek, and now I decided to buy a used Toyota Corolla (2013) to drive in this City where dings are expected.

I love them all and would not buy another car.

I don't know. I trade every three years and I don't believe in brand loyalty because you miss out on new experience and dealers take you for a ride at trade-in time. There are a lot of nicer cars out there, let's see what the next generation look and drives like. I hope the CVT is gone in '19. If it isn't my answer is no

Last edited:
I have always had great luck with Toyotas and just bought 2 brand new ones! Would I change some things on them? Sure, but that is true with any car. I currently own these...

2017 Corolla iM 6MT
2017 RAV4 XLE
2010 Prius III
2009 Corolla S 5MT - I just turbocharged this last winter and it's a beast now!!!
2006 xB 5MT
1995 Supercharged Previa - 162k miles and runs perfect
1989 Supercharged MR2 5MT - I'll never sell it.

My daughters each have a Toyota too.

1995 Corolla 5MT - My wife's old daily with 303k miles on it and still going
2007 Corolla 5MT - Over 110k miles now.
2008 Yaris 5MT - 60k miles now

I've owned many others over the years too with excellent results. I still miss my 1969 Corolla (totaled by a drunk driver) and my 1982 Tercel (stolen and totaled). I also miss my 1991 Camry, 1989 Corolla GTS, 2001 Celica GT and numerous others I've owned.

I hate the FT-86, but secretly want one :D[/QUOTE]
I had the 2013 FR-S, i loved every second of driving it, until it started being high maintenance not long after i got it paid off. It's not a racer, but it's a complete blast to drive, and very exhilarating. Like any car, when it goes bad, you can either dump money into it, or just figure the "hot chick" turned high maintenance, and now it's time to get something reliable and not be paranoid about "is it still in its parking space?", "did somebody key it overnight because they think it's a rich dude's sports car?"

Love the MR2 supercharged. I miss the little sports car they use to make especially the celica. You have a very nice collection
Thanks! I love my Supercharged MR2. :cool:

It's amazing how much bigger my 2009 Corolla S and 2017 iM are compared to the MR2. It doesn't feel as small as it looks when I'm driving it.

I hate the FT-86, but secretly want one :D
I had the 2013 FR-S, i loved every second of driving it, until it started being high maintenance not long after i got it paid off. It's not a racer, but it's a complete blast to drive, and very exhilarating. Like any car, when it goes bad, you can either dump money into it, or just figure the "hot chick" turned high maintenance, and now it's time to get something reliable and not be paranoid about "is it still in its parking space?", "did somebody key it overnight because they think it's a rich dude's sports car?"[/QUOTE]

But that's the Subaru side of the FR-S. ;)