1999 Corolla - Leak in The Exhuast Manifold Gasket Cause One Cylinder to Misfire?

I am trying to address an ongoing misfire issue on cylinder #3 (P0303) on my 99 Corolla 148,000 miles. I have already replaced all spark plugs and wires, all 4 fuel injectors, new air filter. Car only misfires on one cylinder (#3) and only in the morning when I first start the car. Once the car reaches normal operating temperature its smooth and runs fine. In the morning on a cold start I can also smell gas from exhaust pipe.(might be running too rich?) If I drive the car before it reaches normal operating temperature the car idles rough and shivers like its going to stall but has never actually stalled. It takes a good 15 to 20 min of driving for the engine to smooth out. My mechanic thinks it can be a leak in the intake manifold gasket. My question is can a leak in the intake manifold gasket cause a misfire on only cylinder#3 (P0303)? Thank you in advance for your feedback and expertise.

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
A intake leak can cause all of that but it is very weird that it is only on one cylinder and 20 mins for the car to reach operating temp is pretty long mine takes like 5 mins of driving and I'm full coolant temp but

Kev250R

This is my other car
I'm betting blown head gasket or a cracked head. I've seen cracked heads behave this same way. A compression test should tell you what you need to know. Most DIY Auto parts places will lend (or rent) you a tester.

Kevin