2001 Corolla - Driver Door Will Not Open From The Inside

As the title suggests, my driver door simply won't open from the inside. I tried taking of the interior door handle and putting in one of the working ones but it didn't work. I then tried pulling on the metal rod and this did nothing as well (which is what I can't figure out).

I took off the door panel to get a better look but I couldn't really see anything wrong. I wanted to take off the door panel of another door just to see what a proper assembly should look like by my driver side door nearly fell apart taking it off. I pulled on the rod from as close to the source as possible and still nothing. I even pulled the mechanism itself with my finger and pulled it back as far as it could and it wouldn't open the door.

I managed to get a video of me pulling the rod to show you what's going on since I have no idea. I open the door with the outside door handle at the end. If the video is unhelpful or you need to see something else, I can take my door off again and get it tomorrow.

Here's the video: http://youtu.be/U0g2jYE_8HI

Any help would be appreciated.

The lock release is broken on the inside, I had to replace 3 since the car was new. I bought a set of 4 on eBay a little while back. It takes about 3 minutes to replace it.

You can also remove the rear (left rear door) inside handle and switch them until you get a new one. Go to youtube to see how its done, very easy to do.

Last edited:
Door lock

The lock release is broken on the inside, I had to replace 3 since the car was new. I bought a set of 4 on eBay a little while back. It takes about 3 minutes to replace it.
That happen to my wife one day. When I got home from work, she told me she had to climb over the console to get out of the car! I said "Why didn't you open the window, and let yourself out that way"? Close the window and lock the door.:laughing: