2012 Corolla - Need Spare Immobilizer Key?

2012 Corolla S but only have one key. What is the best way to get a spare key? Some say Lowe's or Home Deport, but then I have heard you need to go to the dealer as they need to match the key with the car. The key I have is black with 4 buttons on it. Even a valet key would be nice as long as it will start the run the car.

I think the key has a chip in it and it needs to match car. What I did with my GM vehicle was purchase a fob on ebay for 15 or something and took it to dealer to get coded for 30. If I went to dealer it would have cost nearly 200. There may be a number code (on the back of my GM fob there was) on the key, make sure it matches on the purchase and the dealer should code it for you for not much cheddar.

Ray

Look at places like this one (just keep in mind that I have never purchased anything from this place, so I have no idea how reputable they are):
https://ikeyless.com/vehicles/Toyota/Corolla/2012/

There is Amazon, too (Just look for the right model and year):
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...vptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_9hkmy1wztg_b

I have never had any trouble with Amazon, but you have to match the key to the car to make sure it fits. Then take the key to a locksmith for cutting, and finally have it programed. However, some of the key FOBs come with instructions on how to program it yourself. Just make sure that the key FOB has a programmable chip, not just a shell.

Last edited:
I called the dealer and they quoted me $350 for the key with remote, and $160 for just a key (no remote). Also mention that is I lost the single key that I have it would cost a lot more. :no:

I know with Ford you can program your own keys, and I believe there is a procedure to program yourself with Toyota as well (check YouTube ... I remember seeing it there), but you need two keys for that to happen ... so if you only have the one key, you have to take it to the dealer to program the key.