2015 Corolla - Will I Need New TPMS Sensors on My New Aftermarket Wheels?

I'm getting some after market wheels before the new year and I just stumbled upon a YouTube video of a guy adding tpms sensors to his new aftermarket wheels ? Will i need to do the same to my 2014 corolla's after market wheels?

No you can use the factory ones I had to buy a universal strap kit like Ford uses to mount my factory sensors in my aftermarket wheels but they work.

Good to know! TPMS are not cheap for a set of 4. Do tire shops like Discount Tire have these straps on hand to mount or is this something you need to plan on grabbing if you do buy aftermarket wheels?

Good to know! TPMS are not cheap for a set of 4. Do tire shops like Discount Tire have these straps on hand to mount or is this something you need to plan on grabbing if you do buy aftermarket wheels?
Something like this would help.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/White-Knight-TPMS22105-Stainless-Finish/dp/B00B2FCQ86[/ame]

That's similar to the kit I used you might be able to just switch out and mount the factory sensors in your aftermarket wheels. The way mine were made the factory sensors wouldn't bolt up in either valve stem locations on the aftermarket wheels. So I had to buy the universal strap kit like the one here. Hopefully your aftermarket wheels aren't designed like mine and you can just switch the factory sensors into your aftermarket wheels. But more than likely you'll have to use the universal strap kit. Make sure you don't leave the sensors off the car for an extended period as it will cause them to got into sleep mode. And you'll have to get a shop to initialize them again. I know from personal experience but luckily had a tech who works for the company that makes the sensors and handheld units to program them fix mine for free.

Kev250R

This is my other car
How long does it take for the sensors to go to 'sleep'? I'm curious because my Corolla typically sits for a week or more at a time without being driven and wonder if it sits for a longer period of time if I'll need to worry about having problems with the TPMS.

Kevin

I had my aftermarket wheels on my car for about a week or two before founding the universal strap kit to mount my factory sensors. By that time the light wouldn't go off for the TPMS after more research found and emailed a company that makes the sensors and the handheld terminals to program them. And the guy I was talking to trains shops like Black's Tires on using the terminal. And thanks to God he was working and training in my area that week and offered to check and fix it for free. Said they had to be initialized found out they go into sleep mode doing research on trying how to get my light off and everything.

Tpms

You can also put them in a capped pipe with pressure on it if you dont want to mess with converting them just FYI. Just put it under the seat or in the trunk thats what im going to do when I get a second set of wheels and tires for my truck. I do not by any means recomend doing this it's just a suggestion.

I bought new winter tires and Costco installed them for me ... :) I still have my TPMS on the new set of tires. ... and they will install it back once i go back to my all seasons tires.

How long does it take for the sensors to go to 'sleep'? I'm curious because my Corolla typically sits for a week or more at a time without being driven and wonder if it sits for a longer period of time if I'll need to worry about having problems with the TPMS.

Kevin
I don't think you will have a problem. They still are installed and sensing tier pressure, not disconnected. I garaged my 13 civic for three months last winter and it didn't happen. I plan to do the same with my corolla this winter and drive my beater. If if happened just from not driving for a few weeks, dealers would have a lot of cars with dead sensors.

koby

I'd say screw it and just deal with the light. Only reason I see to need them is if you cant keep up with regular maintenance and let your tires get low. Suggestions though not recommendations. Unless rpms does something more magical I dont know about

I don't think you will have a problem. They still are installed and sensing tier pressure, not disconnected. I garaged my 13 civic for three months last winter and it didn't happen. I plan to do the same with my corolla this winter and drive my beater. If if happened just from not driving for a few weeks, dealers would have a lot of cars with dead sensors.
Mine did not saying there's will just sharing my experience with aftermarket wheels on my corolla. Had my factory wheels and sensors off about a month or two and when I had them installed into the aftermarket wheels the light was still on and the tech who fixed them said he had to reinitialize them. All Black's Tire locations can do it for about $30 if needed.

Mine did not saying there's will just sharing my experience with aftermarket wheels on my corolla. Had my factory wheels and sensors off about a month or two and when I had them installed into the aftermarket wheels the light was still on and the tech who fixed them said he had to reinitialize them. All Black's Tire locations can do it for about $30 if needed.
Yes, but if I understand correctly, you actually had the wheels and thus the sensors off the car. The other poster I was responding to and I both will just have the vehicles parked with the wheels and sensors still on the vehicle, so there shouldn't be a "loss of communication". My guesstimation, anyway. I already have had my corolla parked at one point for 3-4 weeks and didn't have a problem, and my civic was parked for months without a problem.

I can't decide if I like or hate these sensors. They are a pain in the butt and add cost, but most people don't check their tire pressure like they should, so at least it cuts down on the number of people driving around with 14 psi in their tires, waiting for a blowout.

Good info though about what can happen if left disconnected too long though. I didn't know that.

Yes, but if I understand correctly, you actually had the wheels and thus the sensors off the car. The other poster I was responding to and I both will just have the vehicles parked with the wheels and sensors still on the vehicle, so there shouldn't be a "loss of communication". My guesstimation, anyway. I already have had my corolla parked at one point for 3-4 weeks and didn't have a problem, and my civic was parked for months without a problem.

I can't decide if I like or hate these sensors. They are a pain in the butt and add cost, but most people don't check their tire pressure like they should, so at least it cuts down on the number of people driving around with 14 psi in their tires, waiting for a blowout.

Good info though about what can happen if left disconnected too long though. I didn't know that.
Ok thought you were saying you had the wheels and sensors off for few months. I didn't know that being off the car for about a month or so would cause an issue either I do now. I check my air pressure at least 2-3 a month now sometimes more.