Aftermarket head unit

Has anyone changed out their head unit yet?
Or more to the point, is anyone using the iDataLink Maestro RR?

I have been slowly purchasing the parts I will need to replace my factory head unit.
I think I'm going to go with the Kenwood 9903s.
Was going to get the Alpine IPX-700, but it's lacking a lot of features.

Anyways, just looking for some input.

Nice. Looking forward see what you will do. I'd like to replace the stock speakers see if that will improve the sound quality.

Nice. Looking forward see what you will do. I'd like to replace the stock speakers see if that will improve the sound quality.
Speakers alone won't help the sound a whole lot. You need an amp too. The factory speakers are somewhat tuned with the head unit. Just changing the speakers could even make it sound worse.
But it's a start!
I plugged my old iPod classic into the USB port today. Whoa! I swear the volume tripled! I couldn't turn it up past 20! Usually I Bluetooth my phone and can crank it to 35.
I didn't realize how much power I have. All the mirrors were shaking!

Switched out everything on my 14 rolls, I first switched out my mids and 6x9s with Kenwood and added 6 Rockford fosgate t1ts tweeters (stock power) very clean crisp sound for stock power, I just got done last weekend pulling out the stock double din and replaced it with a pioneer double din (pioneer avh-x4800bs) ordered it from crutchfield.com including wiring kit and dash kit, sound is amazing now just need the alpine power pack (in dash amp) and my speakers will be screaming, running on stock power I can hear my highs from 300 feet+

When u order from crutchfield and get everything with wire harness I was able to use my stock back up camera, steering wheel controls, stock aux input and stock usb input, the only thing I was unable to use was my stock microphone with Bluetooth hands free so I had to run the pioneer Mic into the spot I wanted, all in all easy install but it took me 5.5 hours

When u order from crutchfield and get everything with wire harness I was able to use my stock back up camera, steering wheel controls, stock aux input and stock usb input, the only thing I was unable to use was my stock microphone with Bluetooth hands free so I had to run the pioneer Mic into the spot I wanted, all in all easy install but it took me 5.5 hours
So what about engine data and user settings? Did you install the iDataLink module?

I didn't ever use any of that so I didn't need to have it converted for pioneer, changing out my stereo didn't affect anything with the car, I still have my average mpg on my dashboard, car is always in sport mode since it is stick shift and I never was able to use eco mode since there was never any buttons for it

I hear ya. There's not a whole lot of options to begin with. Maybe this will give me more?
I guess I'll be the Guinea pig for the forum. Lol
Thanks all, for the input.

No problem, if you decide to do the data link for the engine I'm curious to see how it will look/work, all I know is the wiring to keep my stock options was a pain in the ass lol
I've already bought the datalink wiring harness, should be here tomorrow. Crutchfield was too high on the maestro though, even if I bought it with a head unit. I'll pick that up from Amazon.
I'll take some better pics of the harness and post it here tomorrow.

I did a lot of research on the RR. Ordering from amazon.... piece by piece. Just want a clean sounding system. Plans go: maestro rr, head unit, then really good front and rear speakers, probably a power pack amp. I really like the Alpine HALO 9. It supposedly syncs well with the datalink maestro.

The 9903 S is pretty badass. I just researched it. What features did that head unit have that you were looking for?
I ended up getting the 9904S, a month before the 9905S came out. Oh well.
The 5 adds YouTube and more streaming content, better screen, etc.
I’m sure the 4 is capable of some of this with a simple firmware upgrade but that’s not how Kenwood rolls. They want you to keep buying.
Anyways, I have several YouTube videos on the 9904S. Please watch!! Lol