Automatic to Mantual Transmission Swap

euriel

Has anyone here swapped their CVT 'rolla to a Manual? My '17 SE only has 20k and already is showing some troubling signs. It began around 10k miles. Mostly in sports mode or Manual mode, from first to second or second to third gear it makes a loud "REEEEEEEeeeee" whine, its loud. it sounds like the transmission is crying or wheezing, it sounds painful and is also pretty embarrassing since I have the TRD exhaust. I've taken it in 3 times for this issue, they can never replicate it. It also falls within the j0d service campaign, but there's no fix and dealerships wont apply any update what so ever since the service campaign is suspended. When it inevitably fails, I wanna ask Toyota to replace it with a manual. Also, I love my corolla, I treat her with great care and don't abuse the transmission.

I don't have knowledge on swapping from auto to manual but it is a LOT of work since they'll need to replace things like the transmission, pedals, ECU, and I believe the parking brake.. I could be wrong but I'm not sure how feasible it would be to have a dealer do something big like that to your car.

When it inevitably fails, I wanna ask Toyota to replace it with a manual
To what brothabear mention, add replacing some interior console parts. You still have some warranty. After that, if you're one of the unlucky, the cost might be overwhelming vs the value of the car. Even more if the CVT ends up failing much later, in a more genuine Corolla manner.

mine does the same thing when i smash the pedal to the floor in sport mode, it is just the transmission, remember it is running on belts no gears so it would make sense that it would create a loud screeching sound when under stress something like gears would make a clunk or bang or no sound at all because there is less friction created in gears than in belts.

also im not sure if you are aware, there is a nationwide firmware update on CVT corolla transmissions that makes the tranny run much much smoother.

Rylee

Call that the CVT WHINE! All of them do it, no it’s not to great to hear but then ya shouldn’t be smashing the peddle in a corolla