Battery is flat after days later what I am doing to figure out:

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Battery not to old. I bought two batteries one alarger the other Orginal size. seems maybe they both gave the same time? Lol

Put on charge from 12.07, reads at this moment 12.35 plus? I have pulled the cig lighter and center arm rest plug nothing on them, only thing that is running is an Alarm system. I normally can leave the car sit for two weeks with a soft led as the alarm not the leds that are bright. I thought my trunk could be open, this also brought on codes of the VSC and traction but that lead to the gas cap.

All I can do now is read the voltage of hte rig I made up so I do not have to unarm the car just go right to the port.

this AM I believe the voltage was at around 11.50 give or take I am sure a few more loss.** the car be dead again? SOmething is draing it and I feel todays batteries when they give this is how they act. I do not want to invest in a new battery to find two days later it is dead. If I do invest I will not trade in my bat I'll buy straight out and use the bat for my Solar panel.

Any Suggestions while it baffles me I am all ears. Enjoy the video I show what I did cleaned up looked and charging. car is not unattended as I keep an eye while charging

FISH

Symptoms due to removing the terminals fuel pump off, radio stations loss, ac on shakes car, lower rpms they are side effects Lol.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
I just removed the charger, and 12.35 plus. I taken out my other bat it reads 12.42 while not hooked up, I have put on charge will let charge for a day and then swap out bats if I have to.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
volts are .05 so I said why not look at the other car its 12.42 plus new battery. I also bipassed my Alarm and will take note bet hte alarm is the culprit.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
My Notes:

12.02 as settles from 12.05 now time will tell. I'll see what happens in a few days. from today if it is Dead again or I hit the nail on the head or the alarm system.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
thanks, seems that the bat has fallen short of the expected life, and I swapped out made sure it charged and held strong, reads the same voltage as our other cars, new 2 month car lol so chaulk it to a batteery

Hello,

Like other said.
Did you check the alternator?

If it's good.
Turn the car off. Wait a few hours.
Then take voltage and current readings at the positive and negative terminals and see if something is eating power.
If you have lower current and voltage on the negative side. Something is sucking power from the battery.

The battery should read around 12+ volts with the car off. With the engine running you should see 13.5-14.2 volts most of the time. An alarm system can run your battery down in 2 weeks so keep a trickle charger on it to be safe.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
problem resolved. a vid partially made or..

18 month battery holding a week later, more or less it is not about the 18 month battery it is about why the draw? dropping AM happy and contented on Resolving my issue/

FISH

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Purchased a Costco battery By Interstate 12.72vdc as the vdc is holding 12.54 we'll see what the future brings. 36 month battery made in 9/2019

I've used Costco batteries for many years. The Kirkland branded versions were the longest lasting battery I've ever owned. The one in my truck went just a tick over 6 years. I typically replace them at 4 year intervals. I have 2 of the Costco Interstates now. One is more than 3 years old, the other just over 2 years. Seem to be okay, so far.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Thank you Rock-n-roller:

they should last my isse, who knows, just find it funny/strange that both bats gone on two different cars same time Lol when this was an issue now we'll see as temps are changing and the car less used. I'll report back. I still left the solar charger on got no issues with it over charging itt o weak to even get that far Lol.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
12.94vdc after an hours Drive. to me that is holding a charge from 12.52vdc I believe I can top it off to 13.20 plus but I am sure the battery will do just fine. while the old bat I have sitting off charge 12.44 for a good few days.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Going to have a job pulling the alarm out as that can be my last resort, then to bipass it and a led is constant on, the battery is drained. Charger i got is JUNK need a real one this was a POS. Going to rewatch a clip about Ohm's and hte Negative cable not pos cable to locate that draw. Spring/SUmmer project.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Update: still an issue. I replaced with the Battery, with a Costco one. I will return for a new one for free. I may look into a Alternator, maybe just maybe that can be the issue. I will decide about the Alarm system if I can disconnect the harness first, if not then it is wire by wire. I will figure this out. any fresh ideas from "A quiet group" here

Update: still an issue. I replaced with the Battery, with a Costco one. I will return for a new one for free. I may look into a Alternator, maybe just maybe that can be the issue. I will decide about the Alarm system if I can disconnect the harness first, if not then it is wire by wire. I will figure this out. any fresh ideas from "A quiet group" here
I've seen this happen so many times with an alarm. Even if the alarm is working properly it can drain a battery quickly if the car isn't driven all the time. If it does get driven make sure you have the alternator checked.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
I've seen this happen so many times with an alarm. Even if the alarm is working properly it can drain a battery quickly if the car isn't driven all the time. If it does get driven make sure you have the alternator checked.
Thanks.
I have years ago taken away the Led they threw in to a soft led that can drain a battery . I used to be able to when all was Norm, go a month and start. not its the next day.

I agree, and if the Alarm goes, so does a few options the remote starter that was with it Lol.

I would recheck it all. Peace of mind, I will report back when doing so. thanks for checkin in appreciate it. keeps our spirits up. when one shows interest.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Update" bat in the car was 8 plus vdc. weather not nice to solar charge,got my spare bat at 13 25 plus started up. went to restart, and once again DONE in. time to look for an Alternator. online. think the alarm sys is not the issue. if the serpentine belt is old, loose I might as well do it all. and if it then turns out to be the alarm sys oil well.s . 6 months later and started up lol. no issues on that part, thank you toyota.

ANyone want to suggest a altenator online not returning the core! I be happy to listen

fishycomics

Super Moderator
man 14.vdc plus. started then dead like that/ goingto mark this down as a wasted bat, to the solar panel it goes. got the costco that went to 7 vd on the charge today getting a full charge, hope to see 14.20 on it and will see what that does.

if this fails. its gonna be FUN!

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Update:

I can recharge the bats. the bat reads 13vdc, started, reads 14.v, turned all on, 13 v went for a spin, reads 13v. have to pop the cap off the alt, trying to read under that protected cap unclear 5v, 4v, 3v, shut off, reads 12.80 (on video) as I watch the voltage drop to 12.60. I Remote started, 12 minute run time, will check later, I bet a drained bat.

I know I will need Brakes, disks for the front, a Alternator, Might as well get a Belt, and might as well get a replaced costco, or new battery.

this comes down to that. its sucks to come to a drained bat each second Lol.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
right now each day, with that lil solar charger on. car starts. Happy till it dies Lol. never know, maybe another long ride is needed. never know.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
so yeah I got this all taken care of. I was taking care of some work swore I opened the door so the alarm stays off guess not, well its got to be part of the reason. so not looking to tearing that alarm out or finding the harness Lol

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Lucky me some one tossed a battery, charge held going in the trunk be a spare, incase I ever get stuck Lol I have booster cables now a bat wahoo.

right now the car starts , runs, sits will now keep an eye let it sit for a week and start up.

There are so many bad "new" batteries out there, it's actually becoming a guessing game and pure luck to get an actual proper one. Some time ago my battery gave up on me, but it was pretty old, so I was expecting it. What I was not expecting was the new one I got to be a mess and to work only for about two days. I got it through the repair shop that went to, and it was a bad choice apparently. Did the research by myself then and found on here http://www.cararac.com what battery I actually needed and got it directly from the dealership. I haven't had any problems with it so far, so I'm really happy.

I keep one of those small usb jump starters in my trunk after an incident where I left a headlight on about 10 years back. Came in handy a couple months ago after my alternator went out and killed my battery. It had just enough power to start it and I limped home revs high without even enough juice for the electric power steering. Installed an autozone lifetime warranty alternator and bought the cheapest $54 battery from Walmart, works fine.