CVT transmission and/or torque converter failure in the 2014 to 2017 Toyota Corolla's

2019 Toyota Corolla Hatchback too.

There is a recall on the 2019 Toyota Corolla Hatchback and a special service campaign on 2014 to 2017 Toyota Corolla's.
Internet search "Toyota recalls thousands of Corolla's, Here's ...-utube". Scotty recommends to not buy any Corolla with a CVT transmission. He says they fail by 150,000 miles.

The 2018 to 2020 Toyota Corolla has fuel pump failure. There is a recall on it. There are other cars on recall too.
Internet search "utube The end of Toyota reliability" Make sure you watch the video that is exactly 10 minutes 5 seconds.

Internet search "utube Why not to buy a new Toyota". Watch the video that is 8 minutes 17 seconds long. Water pump failure, brake master cylinder failure and CVT transmission failure.

I purchased a 2013 Toyota Corolla to avoid some of the problems on the newer ones.

I purchased a 2013 Toyota Corolla to avoid some of the problems on the newer ones.
Yes. The recall on CVT hatchbacks was for a limited number of units produced at a specific time with faulty parts. A ± 3,000 units production glitch. The 2014-2017 campaign was different: a firmware update to avoid valve body damage that, in actuality, affected only a few owners. There also were a firmware campaing for the Valvematic engine. I for one consider the fuel pump recall throughout a variety of Toyota/Lexus models more of a concern. Weak water pump was a 10th generation thing.

I’m not so sure about Scotty Kilmer. At one point he was confusing Corolla CVT (push belt) with Prius CVT (planetary, a totally different beast) and even with FCA ZF 9 speeds… Since he doesn’t trust hybrids, he assumed they don’t last more than 150K, which is actually the warranty period for batteries, not an expiration date. He seems to think that because it’s the same CVT (not!) it also apply to Corolla. On the other hand, search through his videos and you’ll find some where he is… raving about the Corolla CVT. Go figure.

He also say that CVT are too new… but they have been used for decades outside of North America, 10 years for the one in Corolla. If they were so bad and short lasting (like the first NA generation of Jatco-Nissan), you’d find more than some videos about it and it would transpire in the Consumer Reports, TrueDelta and JD Powers of the world.

delrey

You cannot take everything that Scotty says and take it seriously. He gets his facts and specs mixed up which is very dangerous to his viewer group. His titles on his videos are click baits, not all of the time but a lot have been. I quit watching him when I caught some of his errors and him contradicting himself on multiple videos just like jolly stated. He doesn't trust a BMW but he'll buy a new Supra even though its mainly a BMW. Also, keep in mind since he doesn't back up any of his claims with data, they are to be taken lightly and more subjectively.

With that said, I'm not a huge fan of the CVT on the 10th gen Corolla. Mine has a supercharger whine at certain RPMs that annoy the hell out of me. I've been told by multiple places that it's normal. There is a TSB for it but my dealer won't even do it, especially under the powertrain warranty. The throttle response cause of the CVT is garbage in my opinion. However, it's not the worst I've experienced (like the '19 Sentra I rented earlier this year was far worse and made my Corolla seem normal).

Another issue I have with my Corolla is the noise the bushings make in colder weather. It's an old creaking noise when I go over anything that moves the suspension.

Those are the only deal breakers for me on the '17 Corolla that I've experienced. It's almost enough for me to trade it in for something with a traditional automatic or even go to manual. But at the end of the day, both my old and new Corolla have always been there for me. Even with the issues I've stated above, I'm gonna keep it cause I believe outside of the Civic, I have the best long term ownership compact car. Now that is a subjective statement.