DIY Trunk Organizer

Kev250R

This is my other car
So this was a simple fix to a problem which had been bugging me for the past couple of months. My Corolla doesn't have any way to secure cargo in the trunk, which normally isn't a big deal since I don't carry much back there, although I do have a tool bag and a small fire extinguisher back there which I hear sliding around. So with some time to kill this weekend I built a small wooden carrier which should keep my things where they belong.

It took about an hour to build (would have taken less if my Jig saw had been working properly or if I'd had a plan to follow) and cost $10 in materials at Home Depot. I'm debating if I'm going to paint it, stain it or forget about it. I labeled all the pieces so if (/when) I need to pull the spare out it should go back together quickly. I notched all the pieces so they inter-lock without using any fasteners. Here's a pic:

It wasn't complicated to make, using a circular saw and a jig saw made everything easier. Having some scrap material to practice making cuts with a jig saw was a big help (I'm more of a metal guy, I probably haven't used a Jig saw in over ten years!) I made a plan with measurements and cut lists on it (because I'm useless without a Schematic and it's looking like I'll be making at least one more of these for my Girl's new car) I'll post that if anyone wants to see it, though there's not much to it. Enjoy!

Kevin

Last edited:

Kev250R

This is my other car
Thanks for the kind words! So far I'm making two more of them (one for a relative's Cavalier and another for a friends ES300). I'm not sure if I'm ready to start charging for them, guess I'll have to see how the others turn-out. I think I am going to paint it though, maybe make it blend-in with the trunk better.

Kevin

nice I like it. Looks well done. I had this idea months ago and This is what I did.

My budget was 0. 2x4's I had around. I did make mine in two pieces so it can come apart, but it is not necessary. I have been thinking of beefing it up but it works so I don't mess with it.

Kev250R

This is my other car
That works too! I built mine with more compartments because when I travel I have another tool bag and a back pack I carry, my thought was that I could stow the small stuff in the compartments than toss luggage on top but anything which keeps stuff where you put it should fit the bill :)

Kevin

one day I had a flat of eggs and a melon. I pictured the melon rolling over the eggs on the way home. I put the eggs in the back seat and I built the divider the following weekend lol.

Kev250R

This is my other car
I can relate, for me it was when a larger tool bag I take with me on trips (not pictured) fell over and rolled across the trunk spilling it's contents all over, some of which ended-up in my friends travel bag. Ever seen a girl reach in her bag for a comb and come-up with spark plug? :laughing: That's when I moved making a trunk divider a little higher up on the list.

Kevin

Bunta

So this was a simple fix to a problem which had been bugging me for the past couple of months. My Corolla doesn't have any way to secure cargo in the trunk, which normally isn't a big deal since I don't carry much back there, although I do have a tool bag and a small fire extinguisher back there which I hear sliding around. So with some time to kill this weekend I built a small wooden carrier which should keep my things where they belong.

It took about an hour to build (would have taken less if my Jig saw had been working properly or if I'd had a plan to follow) and cost $10 in materials at Home Depot. I'm debating if I'm going to paint it, stain it or forget about it. I labeled all the pieces so if (/when) I need to pull the spare out it should go back together quickly. I notched all the pieces so they inter-lock without using any fasteners. Here's a pic:

It wasn't complicated to make, using a circular saw and a jig saw made everything easier. Having some scrap material to practice making cuts with a jig saw was a big help (I'm more of a metal guy, I probably haven't used a Jig saw in over ten years!) I made a plan with measurements and cut lists on it (because I'm useless without a Schematic and it's looking like I'll be making at least one more of these for my Girl's new car) I'll post that if anyone wants to see it, though there's not much to it. Enjoy!

Kevin

wish i'd thought of that. thanks for sharing!

Well, in the last two days I have done some more to my trunk divider. There has been a couple changes since my first picture. long ago I ripped the 2x4's in half and made the divider fixed, not in two pieces as originally and it sat at half the height. I was never really happy about the fact that the plastic floor did not really sit level across that trunk. It has a bow in the middle where the spare is because of the Styrofoam tray. I also occasionally put heavy things in the trunk which makes it worse. Not long ago I got an idea that would help with this issue. Only thing is the plywood actually has a bit of a bow in it, not sure how to get rid of that, but it is 5/8 plywood so it is a solid surface to put things on. An added "feature" is the storage underneath. Of course it can all be removed to access the spare or to maximize truck space if needed.
Here is what it looks like now

This is under the cover in the front behind the seats

and this is under the rear cover

There may be few things more I may add and I would like to get it covered in felt or what ever is used elsewhere in the trunk.

Last edited: