Dumbest thing someone has told you about cars

Hi all,

This is my first post here as I just bought my 2010 corolla a couple of weeks ago. I have an 86 turbo toyota pickup (22rte) and an 88 pickup xtra cab (22re). I have been a member of yotatech for about 5 years and have been following a similar thread that just wont quit there. If this topic has been started, which I cannot seem to find, please feel free to point me there.

Anywho, this is my latest from yotatech:

Needed a new DD. Went to the Toyota Stealership here in Peoria, AZ a couple weeks ago and found a 2010 corolla. I fire it up and take it for a test drive. Sounds like it has an exhaust leak, so I tell the salesman in the passenger seat that the exhaust sounds a little funny. "Oh its an aftermarket exhaust from the PO." Hmm. I knew I wanted the car, leak or not, so I bought it and brought her home. A couple days later, I had some spare time so I jacked it up and low and behold, 4 holes about 3/8" each have been drilled in the exhaust piping right at the last bend before the muffler. WTF?

The car also has a shift knob, and the salesman claimed it was a "short shifter". I didn't want to make a fool of him so I blew it off. BTW, its and automatic.

The PO must have been a complete effing tool since he plastidipped the whole car black, and then proceeded to razor blade out a RACING STRIPE 6 inches wide, right over the entire length of the car. Then realized it was not even close to a straight line, and covered it up. So not only do I have aluminum tape around my exhaust pipe now, I also have two cuts in my paint from front to back.

What is wrong with people?

SCQTT

I had a friend that had one of the turbo pickups from the mid-80's. He bought it new. I was wondering if there is a cult following for them.

Well it was my first 4x4 truck and I will take it to my grave. I wouldn't call it a cult though, seeing as I have never met anyone else with one. Maybe I'm a one man cult? I would say that I have more cult like tendencies for Toyota in general, if anything. lol

SCQTT

My dream Toyota is, of course, a 2000GT, but 2nd on the list is a FJ55. I wanted an all white 1988 Toyota 4x4 truck really bad. I loved the white stamped steel wheels and the utilitarian look complete with giant mud flaps. Unfortunately I was a young guy just getting started and I could not afford it.

I did buy a 2002 Double Cab Prerunner, but I only had it a short time. The bed was really short and I needed to haul motorcycles on a pretty regular basis. It was really cool. I did 4"+ Old Man Emu coilovers in the front (kept the back stock, for the squat look) 33" tires on Black powder coated wheels. A big Confer roof basket with a row of 6" PIAAs across the front. The finishing touch was some Hilux badges I got from a friend in Taiwan.

The 86 to 88 pickups and 4runners are my favorite years for sure. Except that I have stripped the fenders and the bed from the 88 and the bed from the 86 so I gave up some of the reason I love them so much. :/ I almost bought an 87 pickup to fill in the gap but I found this corolla instead and decided not to have three trucks. We dumped the ford focus at the same time. Now have three toyotas and two Suzuki Ltr450's. An 06 and an 08.

A number of years ago before I got into trucks, I used to be an infiniti guy. Had a couple of the G20's and loved them. Anyhow, met this guy who had a brand new kia spectra and wanted to "race" with our "car club." Not really a car club but just a few of us who drove around together frequently. We were pretty open at the time, until he started telling us about his "supercharged" kia. It would chirp off the line and sometimes 2nd gear. BUT, it would not hold up to my 95 G20 or my brothers 99 honda accord. So we asked him about this supercharger.

Me: So what kind of supercharger does it have?
Him: Its from Kia.
Me: Really? That must have been expensive.
Him: Yeah it was en extra 12k.
Me: WHAT?!?! (knowing it was a lie) Why didn't you just buy the car and put your own supercharger on it?
Him: Well it was included in my finance price so I went for it.
Me: (God I can't wait till he pops the hood) So lets see this 12k supercharger!
Him: Well you can't "See" it.
Me: WHAAAATTT!? Whatdya mean you can't "See" it?
Him: Its internal.
Me: (Let me catch my breathe first here.) So....... where what makes it spin?
Him: Its supercharged to the timing chain.
Me: The most sensitive part of the car?
Him: Yeah its hooked up to the timing chain. Its a Kia thing. Only they can do it.
Me: OOHH Now it makes sense. (not really.) But where does it get air from?
Him: It doesn't need air.
Me:Well no WONDER IT WAS 12 THOUSAND DOLLARS! ITS MAGIC!
Me again: Just because your car can chirp 1st and second gear, doesn't mean its supercharged! With the amount of HP that thing has, it only means that you can give it a bunch of gas before you let your clutch out! IDIOT!

Needless to say, he didn't end up part of our "car club."

Here's my last one for the day:

I was parked out side of a gas station about to get into my truck when a guy and girl walk by me.

Guy: Thats sick bro! How high you jump that thing!?!
ME: Uhhh, its not for "jumping..." (with a puzzled look on my face as my SAS'd 88 pickup on 37's sat in front of me.)
him: (Laughing his arse off as if I didn't know what my own truck was for) Well then why would put all that money into a truck like that? Thats stupid.
Me: Dude, this a crawler, its not meant for jumping.
Him: You don't know what you're talking about.
Me: (eyeing his girlfriend at the same time) You've never ACTUALLY been off road before have you?
Him: Whatever dude. Do what you want with it!
Me: I DO! Now keep WALKING bro, your girl looking at you funny now.

LOL PEOPLE!

SCQTT

I am mostly a motorcycle guy. On one of my favorite motorcycles forums there is a huge thread based on what people say to motorcycle riders at gas stations / rest areas & such. Some things are pretty cool, but most are just weird, off-the-wall stuff spouted out by the clueless & misinformed. That said, some people are just completely bananas.

Wow you're definitely being nice about that one! "Bananas" is letting some of these guys off real easy! Like the idiot who drilled four holes in my exhaust pipe to make it sound better or go faster. IDK what it was for but he thought it was a good idea!