Engine wont turn and computer reset

Hi there,

First time on the forum.

I recently bought a 2004 RunX 140rs, low milage, single owner, runs like a dream except for one intermittent problem.
Very rarely, when i put the key in, the dash lights will come on as per usual, but then, when i turn the key further to start the engine, I'll hear a loud click (perhaps a solenoid) and the dash lights will go off, i wont be able to start turn them on again, the lights wont work etc. Basically no electrics, including the immobilizer.

I've done the same thing sort of thing as above but instead of trying to turn the engine on, i've tried to turn the lights on, same thing, loud click then nothing.

I suspect a lose connection because if i open the drivers door and slam it shut it seems to reset the whole process (ie i can turn the key and get dash lights again, but get the same click)

One last bit of info: during a couple of my attempts, the car seems to have gone through some sort of reboot.
The tach, speed, oil and water gauges all go to maximum, then return to zero in steps. In addition to this my radio presets have been reset as well as my fuel economy readout.

To my mind it seems like its probably a simple (but annoying) problem but im not sure where to start hence appealing to people smarter and more knowledgeable than myself

Cheers

*edit: spelling

I suspect a loose or corroded battery terminal. The key symptom is when you go start the engine, you are getting a click sound because the starter is not getting the huge cca (cold cranking amps) it needs. Also, radio presets getting lost. That is the same as when you disconnect the battery for maint purposes.

I suspect a loose or corroded battery terminal. The key symptom is when you go start the engine, you are getting a click sound because the starter is not getting the huge cca (cold cranking amps) it needs. Also, radio presets getting lost. That is the same as when you disconnect the battery for maint purposes.
Thanks a lot mate