Hella twin tone horns!

Just got done installing today, oem horn has 111DB these new ones have one of 400DB and the other 500DB. Install wasnt to bad but it is a little time consuming. But they sound WAY better then stock. Stock was way to wimpy and people could barely even hear you. Great upgrade for 26 bucks Super excited to honk at people.

Attachments

I think you meant 400hz and 500hz at 118db, but close enough. Lol
Nice upgrade! Post some pics!
I just received a pair of sickspeed horns in orange. I forgot to order the harness, so I haven't installed them yet.
They have the same specs as your Hella's do.

That is actually what i meant, my mistake haha! You wont be disappointed i imagine. And i will get some good pics and post them up tomorrow.

Going to assume you meant hz, because 500db is doomsday levels of loud. Like that is the point of causing nuclear explosion levels of damage.

Now that being said, I'll take a horn that does 500db output. Maybe they'll think twice before cutting in front of me.

Chris Denton what type of sickspeed horns did you get. I want to get some to for my corolla from the sickspeed website but the horns have letters at the end of the description. What was the letter you ordered?

Make sure you have a good ground connection! I had to use star washers to get a good bite between the bracket and the frame. I didn't want to scrape any paint off where it would be visible.

Has any one tried the HELLA Supertone 12V High/Low tone and installed it in the corolla yet?/// i just bought two pair one for a subaru and the other for the corolla./// Does this horn work the same way (installation wise) as the HELLA horns above^///?

Hey Fuzzy, just wanted to know if you used a power relay harness on your install? So you'll pull more power directly from battery.....

Nice setup bro!

I've used my horns for over 5 mins before while driving on the hwy....and I guess they over heated....

The install is the same process
Sorry for bringing up an older thread, but I'm looking into swapping out my stock horn for the Hella twin tones. It looks like what you did is exactly what I want to do. I'm mainly looking for details about the installation and whether I need to get anything else besides the horns.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000COBK8A/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&psc=1

These are the ones I'm thinking of getting from amazon.ca. I'm just not sure whether everything I need is included. I'm also a bit of a newbie when it comes to poking around my car. :)

Thanks in advance.

Sorry for bringing up an older thread, but I'm looking into swapping out my stock horn for the Hella twin tones. It looks like what you did is exactly what I want to do. I'm mainly looking for details about the installation and whether I need to get anything else besides the horns.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000COBK8A/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&psc=1

These are the ones I'm thinking of getting from amazon.ca. I'm just not sure whether everything I need is included. I'm also a bit of a newbie when it comes to poking around my car. :)

Thanks in advance.
I can’t view your link unless I change countries in the app but...
Make sure they include the wiring harness.
I bought sickspeed horns and then had to purchase the wiring separately. I don’t know if Hella includes it or not.

I can’t view your link unless I change countries in the app but...
Make sure they include the wiring harness.
I bought sickspeed horns and then had to purchase the wiring separately. I don’t know if Hella includes it or not.
Hopefully this helps, it's the product page on amazon. Not sure what they mean by "one relay" in the description. Maybe that's it?

Attachments

ToyBoy

I have a 2014 and I don`t think I used my horn more than 5 times ,if that. I replaced it with an Wolo Ah-Ooga horn :) . I tend to use that more.

@raftor01
How did the install go? I just ordered the horns

It was pretty straightforward after i figured out that (a), I needed a harness to covert my single stock horn to trigger the Hella Twin Tones, and (b), had my buddies explain to me how the harness worked. I used this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00XM107FC/ref=oh_aui_i_d_old_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'd say if you know how the electrics of it work, you'll be pretty good. There's lots of space for cable management in the engine bay, so that's not an issue. I did however need to find a second bolt to mount the two horns.

Attachments

yea this might be repetitive and I'm really bad with finding these kinds of things.....but does anybody have a link to a plug and play horn? yes I'm sure wiring is easy but I'm clueless and usually only buy plug and play accessories for my rolla xD

yea this might be repetitive and I'm really bad with finding these kinds of things.....but does anybody have a link to a plug and play horn? yes I'm sure wiring is easy but I'm clueless and usually only buy plug and play accessories for my rolla xD
I haven’t ever found anything.
I have dual factory horns and still had to perform surgery on the wiring.
They use a “F” connector on the back of the horn. Hard to find, but obtainable. You could add an OEM high note horn (and bolt), get an “F” connector, a short piece of wire and one of those crimp on T tap connectors. That would be about as easy as it comes. Almost plug and play and completely reversible.

@raftor01
Did you have to purchase anything else besides the harness and another bolt? And were you able to do all of this without removing the grille?
No, harness and bolt were the only things purchased besides the horn. You'd need a socket set to do all this, but that's pretty easy to borrow from someone if you don't already have one.

Yes, I was able to do all this without removing the grille. There's quite a bit of space to work.

@raftor01
Sorry to bombard you with all these questions but I'm having some trouble figuring out how to use the harness. How did you connect the two pin looking end pieces to the stock horn connector? The ijdmtoy diagram says those two are for the horn connector.

And in the other picture, did you use the black box at all? There's no mention of what purpose it serves. Also, is that metal ring on the red wire is supposed to go under the bolt on the battery?

@raftor01
Sorry to bombard you with all these questions but I'm having some trouble figuring out how to use the harness. How did you connect the two pin looking end pieces to the stock horn connector? The ijdmtoy diagram says those two are for the horn connector.

And in the other picture, did you use the black box at all? There's no mention of what purpose it serves. Also, is that metal ring on the red wire is supposed to go under the bolt on the battery?
The stock horn is grounded through the bolt that attaches it to the engine bay. That's probably the other wire you're looking for. The new horns (assuming you got the same horns as I did) each need a positive and negative lead (from the harness). The remaining two (positive and negative) wires are the trigger. The positive end connects to the positive end that the stock horn connected to. The negative end connects to the negative terminal of the battery.

I'm not sure what "black box" you're referring to other than the relay that is included in the horn package. I did not end up using that at all.

That bolt on the positive (and negative) of the battery is for attaching accessories to the battery. So, yes. The ring goes under the bolt.

Honestly, I'd advise that you turn to someone (a friend or professional) who can see how this system works and explain it to you better than I can.

What I can tell you is that the existing wire that triggers the stock horn becomes the trigger for the horns hooked up to the harness. This entire system is connected directly to the battery. It's difficult for me to explain in further detail than this.

I hope you're eventually successful with it.

The stock horn is grounded through the bolt that attaches it to the engine bay. That's probably the other wire you're looking for. The new horns (assuming you got the same horns as I did) each need a positive and negative lead (from the harness). The remaining two (positive and negative) wires are the trigger. The positive end connects to the positive end that the stock horn connected to. The negative end connects to the negative terminal of the battery.

I'm not sure what "black box" you're referring to other than the relay that is included in the horn package. I did not end up using that at all.

That bolt on the positive (and negative) of the battery is for attaching accessories to the battery. So, yes. The ring goes under the bolt.

Honestly, I'd advise that you turn to someone (a friend or professional) who can see how this system works and explain it to you better than I can.

What I can tell you is that the existing wire that triggers the stock horn becomes the trigger for the horns hooked up to the harness. This entire system is connected directly to the battery. It's difficult for me to explain in further detail than this.

I hope you're eventually successful with it.
You should wire in the relay. It's very simple and will protect your wiring. The Hella horns draw a lot more amperage than the stock horn and the relay is needed because of that. A few others didn't use it and had problems later on. I wired it in on my Hella horns and it was super easy.