How to double check if the doors are really close with smart key still in pocket?

Hi
It may be a silly question but please bear with me.
I bought a new Corolla 2016 today with the smart key function (it is the same as the 2015 Corolla).
Of course I know how to lock/unlock the doors using the remote control or the two grooves on top of the front door. (you will hear a single beep )
However, how to double check if the doors are really close? My old car did not have the smart key, so when i close the doors I usually try to open the door handles to see if it was really close. However now, i cannot do it since the moment i put my hands on the door handles, the door will automatically open.

Thanks

I don't have first hand experience with the 2016 Corolla per say but I have owned and driven many models with the smart key function.

Immediately after locking the car with pushing the button or groove to lock the car you should be able to handle check (to see if its locked) if you haven't started to step away from the car without unlocking the doors. Also you could peer through the windows (unless you have dark tint) and check through the opposite door panel to see if the "RED" tab (that typically indicates whether or not the door is locked) to double check if the door's locked.