Need A Boost?

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Hey, excuse me, you left your lights on? or Hell with them, let their car die!

With such a busy lifestyle we all have, do not blame my neighbors, but my own self. I blame Toyota, for cutting cost? I blame the Sales team, for not informing us. from feedback to aftermarket products, you can avoid having a dead battery.

Do you, or did you know? you can not place your car in gear, unless you insert/press on the override button, located by the shifter by Park? An Electronical feature, with a mechanical button.

What doe this have to do with boosting car? If you can not get to the battery, of any means, your options are , to remove the battery, if tools are at hand, to rolling the car for access.

How do you charge/boost the battery? Red matches red. and black on the chasses of the car, or on terminal. while other side red on battery and black on the Motor hoist, not on the battery itself. The car has what is called a floating ground.

Do we have to rev the engine while boosting? Old school, we did that, today, no. Do you rev I with a portable battery booster, you can not. The power source of the other car, is pushing the correct voltage, and we rev when the person starts the car. So that, if its drawing more amperage, the car charging does not fail. We rev and revving is not needed. You let the car sit, you allow time, and time will get the car started.

Once the car is started, what do I need to do. If you left your lights on and the battery is fairly new, drive and go. but if your battery is old and weak, then you will need to get things checked out, to replacing the battery.

These are some tidbits that helped me out. I suggest, to get a battery booster, to not rely on others, and periodically recharge it, if left In the car.

I show a video, of me going about charging. I hear one say, you did not put a safety cone up, well I did wake up, and I am going to sleep, and anything in between is an exciting day for me then picking on such detail. JK.

try not to be a perfectionist in life, and enjoy some one trying to offer a helping hand, if it is right or wrong. then ignorance. There again are two types of people....

Lights can go dead, in hours, headlights 2-3 hours top on a new battery.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFVAWYUbcdI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFVAWYUbcdI[/ame]

Last edited:

Kev250R

This is my other car
I rarely jump someone using my own car, just too high a risk for damage to the ECM (and other devices) in a modern car for me to feel comfortable risking it.

I carry a jump box when I travel, mine's made by Stanley and was a gift a couple of years ago but I doubt it cost more than $50. So far the only thing it's failed to start is the Diesel in my F-450, but I can't really fault it for that. One tip I use is whenever I start someone with it I draw a hash mark on it to keep track of how many times it's been used to start a car. I charge it after every use and once a month just for good measure.

Kevin

Yep I am also scared to use jumper cables on a OBD II vehicle.

I have heard too many stories of damaged electrical components especially the computer.

Like the idea of keeping count of how many times the jumper box has been used.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
the old way of things were, just that if I jump some one else I get their troubles. yes getting a booster box is quite safe to jump a car, but when no other possible means. you rather be stranded. the fix to that thinking is to take off the leads. of the car jumping, if tools present.

the old way of things were, just that if I jump some one else I get their troubles. yes getting a booster box is quite safe to jump a car, but when no other possible means. you rather be stranded. the fix to that thinking is to take off the leads. of the car jumping, if tools present.
I guess I could find a bunch of things wrong with you car videos Mr. Fish
but I like them just the same!

fishycomics

Super Moderator
I guess I could find a bunch of things wrong with you car videos Mr. Fish
but I like them just the same!
Yes you can. And it does not bother me a bit, at all if you find flaws in it. :thumbsup:

Jumpers bought. as It completes our Emergency kit. Something I did not add in or posted above.

I don't say this because I drive one but the 2013 'Rolla in white looks good. I would like to have the 17" wheels but they did not come as an option in Canada. I like the trick with the door looks I will have to try that however not sure it it will work with my smartkey system. One advantage of my manual is I can always push start it lol. Nice Vid tho

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Most cars you are able to do that of what I shown, to hold a handle and press lock, to lock the doors, Toyota did not allow this, Oh it prevents you from locking yourcar, no it is a way to over ride the system if you need to lock the door if the key is not with you for some reason.

if your car is in gear, it turns the Alt, and the key turns on the will get juice and start..

If in an auto you put the car in gear and do the same, do you think the car will start??

I have a manual, so I can always roll start :-D

In all seriousness, you can jump with no harm, even to OBD-II. Couple things to keep in mind.

1. Before you hook anything up, turn on both cars (don't start either of them), and turn off everything. Dome lights, radio, HVAC, everything you possibly can. And make sure you (the jumper) do this ... don't rely on someone else to do it for you because they usually will miss something. Then shut both cars off.

2. Make sure cars aren't touching and cables are as separated as possible, the order is:
a: hook up positive of dead battery post
b: hook up positive to charging battery post
c: hook up negative to charging battery post
d: hook up negative to ground on dead car (never, ever, hook this one up to the dead battery post).

3. Start the charging car, wait a few minutes, then start the dead car.

4. When dead car starts, wait a few minutes, then remove cables in reverse of install.

If you follow that procedure, you'll never fry electronics. Anytime somebody fries a PCM, it's because they left headlights on while attaching the cables, had the ignition on for the dead car, or hooked up the cables in the wrong order (or worse, let the cables touch each other).

Last edited:
if your car is in gear, it turns the Alt, and the key turns on the will get juice and start..
Not exactly how it works.

You turn the ignition to on, then you push the car while the transmission is in neutral, and when you get up to about 7 mph, you jump in the car, put the clutch in, put it in first, and bump the clutch in and out to start the engine.

Basically, when you roll start a manual, you're replacing the starter with the car's momentum. If the battery is so dead that the ignition system won't fire, then roll-starting won't work either. You could push the car while it is in gear with a truck, but you're going to damage the body of both cars.

If in an auto you put the car in gear and do the same, do you think the car will start??
If you pushed an automatic in neutral, then threw it into gear at speed, the engine wouldn't turn over.

Automatics need the engine running (the drive for the automatic transmission oil pump is from the torque converter housing) in order to have pressure. So if you threw it into gear, the band would fail to engage (since engine off = no transmission oil pressure).

fishycomics

Super Moderator
I have a manual, so I can always roll start :-D

1. Before you hook anything up, turn on both cars (don't start either of them), and turn off everything. Dome lights, radio, HVAC, everything you possibly can. And make sure you (the jumper) do this ... don't rely on someone else to do it for you because they usually will miss something.
You have DRL's , and that can not be turned off, you keep the car in OFF.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Not exactly how it works.

You turn the ignition to on, then you push the car while the transmission is in neutral, and when you get up to about 7 mph, you jump in the car, put the clutch in, put it in first, and bump the clutch in and out to start the engine.

Basically, when you roll start a manual, you're replacing the starter with the car's momentum. If the battery is so dead that the ignition system won't fire, then roll-starting won't work either. You could push the car while it is in gear with a truck, but you're going to damage the body of both cars.

If you pushed an automatic in neutral, then threw it into gear at speed, the engine wouldn't turn over.

Automatics need the engine running (the drive for the automatic transmission oil pump is from the torque converter housing) in order to have pressure. So if you threw it into gear, the band would fail to engage (since engine off = no transmission oil pressure).
that I knew. about AT.

And with a Dead battery of a MT as well.

I started my manual years ago with a cracked battery , and within 3 ft.

It does not take much to get it started, Lol maybe the newer models changed? I am going back in the early 80's before the net was ever around.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
And I once again have a drained battery, and what caused this, is quite simple.

Alarm system will drain a car not started for periods of time, how long dependsonsome factors.

1)type of led flashing
2)) battery back up not installed for alarm.

How do we start the car, once again with DRL and all lights off, KEY OFF not key on.

Should I demonstrate. hmmmm get back to me fast on this and I shall

And I once again have a drained battery, and what caused this, is quite simple.

Alarm system will drain a car not started for periods of time, how long dependsonsome factors.

1)type of led flashing
2)) battery back up not installed for alarm.

How do we start the car, once again with DRL and all lights off, KEY OFF not key on.

Should I demonstrate. hmmmm get back to me fast on this and I shall
Mr. Fish, maybe it's time to buy a battery rated for your cars driving conditions. Also have a charging system test done, my auto parts store does them for free.
Hopefully you don't have a parasitic drain, they can be a pita to figure out.
Good Luck!

fishycomics

Super Moderator
not a thing is wrong with the car, my friend, it is a different car if you get it. this topic is of a Headlights left on a 2013. my other one I left it for an extended period. and garaged, s no solar power with a correct diode --> could have been put on, I did not take the battery grd off. and that is what you get.

SO like I said if one wants a refresher course, and it be best to fastly answer, than lately come.

Fishy, maybe you need a battery with a higher amp rating so that it will hold a charge longer.

Optima red tops are expensive, but they are superb batteries and have a large amperage and CCW rating that may help you out if you don't start that car often. Plus they last longer.

Kev250R

This is my other car
FWIW I started my Corolla last night for the first time in about 3 weeks. Stock battery and has been locked with the alarm set the whole time. Due to the age of the battery I was ready to jump it but it fired right up, although it did crank-over a bit slower than normal.

Fishy I think you have a small drain on your battery, or you may need to think about adding a battery tender to keep the battery topped-off.

Kevin

fishycomics

Super Moderator
The 2013, was like said fully depleted by headlights, perfectly holding its charge.
the 2010 is around 5 years old. and was more than a few weeks, around 1.5 months.

And as cold is a factor, I find that to me in the situation quite normal. today Zero degree. remote start, worked just fine

Well I would like to have the 15" tires but they did not come as an choice in North america. I like the secret to success with the door looks, I will have to try that however not sure it it will continue to perform with my smartkey program.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
battery in this extreme cold is Working 100% 2010 5 year old battery. It is agreed time to keep an eyeout for a fresh new battery one day soon but not this time round