Rims for my 2015 corolla L

Hello eventually I want to buy a set of black rims for my white 2015 corolla L to get rid of the ugly hub caps, I just got brand new tires, 15 inch standard Michelins, when I finally buy rims how do I find out what size rims fit my current tires? Are there rims for non low profile tires that I just got? Basically what do I look for when rom shopping to make sure my new tires fit on them. Thanks!

JoshTRD

if i where you id wait to buy a rim and tire combo only because it would be cheeper and you get the chance to get bigger rims....just tough it out and wait till you need new tires and replace it completely, and than you get the chance to get bigger rims too when you decide to change them ;)...in my opinion 17s look the best on the corolla (thats what the corolla S comes with)

Your best bet is to check out www.tirerack.com to see the rim options for your Corolla L. You can enter the details about your car, and they will return a list of rims they sell that will fit.

I have 15" on my Eco model and have been considering a rim purchase.

Jake

17’s do look good. I just picked up a set of Scion FRS wheels for my 16 LE and got rid of the steelies with hub caps. I had to run spacers due to the difference in offset, so I went with some 15mm. The wheels sit almost flush with the fenders. Looks good IMO. Next is TRD lowering springs. Also in case you need it, willtheyfit.com is a great tool.

Drew

If you go to bigger wheels, you get a tire with less sidewall, anybody notice a rougher ride with this?

What’s happens to the gas mileage? Any noticeable difference?

Drew,
A lower profile tire will result in a rougher ride, however, it will also result in a more responsive vehicle through turns and in emergency maneuvers. Personally, I find anything with less than a 45 series sidewall tends to be too much for my taste. My car is currently running the stock 195/65 series on 15" rims. The ride is supple and luxurious....

Stepping up to a 17" rim would require the sidewall to drop to a 45 series, which would (IMO) produce a ride that I would not want on my daily driver.

I'd consider a 16" rim with a 55 series sidewall as this seems to be a nice compromise between comfort and sport for an old guy like me.

Jake

Oh, and gas mileage.... bigger tires will reduce your fuel economy.
Not necessarily true, if you keep the overall diameter the same, there should be very minimal, if any, reduction in mpg. Bigger rim = smaller sidewall on the tire but smaller rim = taller sidewall but if the overall diameter doesn’t change then there shouldn’t be any change.

Jake,

You bring up a good point about fuel economy not changing based on tire diameter, which is true. Where the fuel efficiency is lost is not on tire diameter, but rather the tire width.

As you go up in rim size, the footprint of the tire changes, creating a bigger contact patch on the pavement. This creates more rolling resistance and will negatively affect fuel economy.​

Consider that my car rolls on the stock 15" rim with 195/65 series rubber.
Step up to a 16" rim, now you are buying 205/55 series tires.
Step up again to a 17" rim, you're buying 215/45 series tires for those big 17" rims.

As the rim size increases and sidewall size decreases, the overall tire width will go up proportionately.

Jake

Jake,

You bring up a good point about fuel economy not changing based on tire diameter, which is true. Where the fuel efficiency is lost is not on tire diameter, but rather the tire width.

As you go up in rim size, the footprint of the tire changes, creating a bigger contact patch on the pavement. This creates more rolling resistance and will negatively affect fuel economy.​

Consider that my car rolls on the stock 15" rim with 195/65 series rubber.
Step up to a 16" rim, now you are buying 205/55 series tires.
Step up again to a 17" rim, you're buying 215/45 series tires for those big 17" rims.

As the rim size increases and sidewall size decreases, the overall tire width will go up proportionately.
But you don’t have to. Even with a 17, you can get a 17x7 a 17x8 and so on. So I fuel economy is a concern then go for a bigger, skinnier rim. It might look goofy from the front or back hahah but it’s an avoidable issue. Lol

If you go with bigger diameter, assuming your car is CVT then i'll be more sluggish than it already is. Try to keep the same diameter and go up in width a bit if you need to. That would be my advice. I remember putting larger diameter tires on a Honda Accord manual tranny I used to have. It looked good, that's for sure but felt like it lost a bunch of HP from start due to larger wheels.

But you don’t have to. Even with a 17, you can get a 17x7 a 17x8 and so on. So I fuel economy is a concern then go for a bigger, skinnier rim. It might look goofy from the front or back hahah but it’s an avoidable issue. Lol
From Tirerack.com, experts in this area:
"Plus Sizing rule of thumb is to increase tire width by 10 millimeters and decrease sidewall height by 5 to 10 percent for each 1-inch increase in wheel diameter."

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...+tire&ef_id=WirdzwAABPoQowZA:20171208211136:s

Jake

From Tirerack.com, experts in this area:
"Plus Sizing rule of thumb is to increase tire width by 10 millimeters and decrease sidewall height by 5 to 10 percent for each 1-inch increase in wheel diameter."

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?gclid=CjwKCAiAjanRBRByEiwAKGyjZU-2VH43neshcHOQPBD3LW75OeiaxeUoXRdmtZP1yrCb9M6IbY970xoCRXcQAvD_BwE&techid=25&s_kwcid=AL!3756!3!231171468475!b!!g!!+plus +one +tire&ef_id=WirdzwAABPoQowZA:20171208211136:s
That is not a rule. It’s an opinion. You can do whatever you want. It’s your car. So if you want to follow that “rule” then great but if not then do whatever you want. Just my opinion.

It's all good, Jake. Hope you don't think I'm trying to rattle you or challenge you on this forum; that's not what I'm about. I was simply giving Drew an answer based on generally accepted best practices when it comes to aftermarket upgrades and tuning.

You're 100% right, you can do whatever you want to your car. Hot-rodding and tuning is all about making a common ride into something special that reflects the owner's unique vision.

It's all good, Jake. Hope you don't think I'm trying to rattle you or challenge you on this forum; that's not what I'm about. You're 100% right, you can do whatever you want to your car. Hot-rodding and tuning is all about making a common ride into something special that reflects the owner's unique vision.
Last weekend, when San Diego County wasn't under another dang fire danger alert, i saw a T shirt while trying to pick a little baby Xmas tree for my 92 yr. old Auntie. It was worn by an older fella, long ZZ top beard, bit of a potbelly...it said:
"You're Right, let's do it the most incredibly stupid way possible!" I haven't stopped chuckling about that sentence ever since, but it kinda pointed me in the direction of being non judgemental of other folks' ideas and ways of doing stuff. I agree with both you and Jake.

Jake

Yep, there are no limits, only our imagination and our wallets!

View attachment 3240
It's all good, Jake. Hope you don't think I'm trying to rattle you or challenge you on this forum; that's not what I'm about. I was simply giving Drew an answer based on generally accepted best practices when it comes to aftermarket upgrades and tuning.

You're 100% right, you can do whatever you want to your car. Hot-rodding and tuning is all about making a common ride into something special that reflects the owner's unique vision.
not at all man. I’m just simply throwing out my opinion also.

Iceman

I ended up going with the "s plus" rims on my car when i needed new tires, tires size was 215/45/17 i have not noticed a difference in ride smoothness, and also have not noticed a dip in fuel economy. here is a picture while the wheels/tires were getting installed on the car. (you can see the before picture in my profile)

Attachments