Startup

stunt

Is it wise to warm up your car (car on idle) for a couple of minutes or so before driving? I've been told it is when it is cold outside but what is your take on it?

Thomas

Ideally, you should do that with any engine. It reduces the thermal stresses from going cold to hot very quickly. By letting it idle, you are allowing it to go from cold to warm to hot.

Additionally, it's also best to pre-lubricate the engine (usually requires installing an electric pre-lube pump). However from what I've heard, a lot of these new oils will stick to the cylinder walls longer and assuming you run the engine at least once every two days (or something like that), the engine isn't running dry (without lube) on start up. Personally, I'm not worrying about this on my car.

Also, if you just do city driving all the time, every so often you should rev the engine to help prevent the build-up of carbon.

jolly

A couple of minutes in winter. Maybe 30 sec. in summer.
Then, if possible, drive slowly, not over revving the engine, for 4 or 5 minutes after that.
The engine and lubricants will heat faster, without undue stress and other mechanical parts also (a car is not just an engine).
You also get the benefit of more comfortable heating (except for the first minutes) faster than at idling and with less pollution.
Coming from 40 years of canadian winter driving experience.

Last edited: