Transmission fluid change

ToyBoy

My 2014 corolla just turned over 60K miles and I had the tranny fluid changed at my dealer for a total of $220 . Just wonder on the 2014 and newer how much were you charged for a tranny fluid change ?

My 2014 corolla just turned over 60K miles and I had the tranny fluid changed at my dealer for a total of $220 . Just wonder on the 2014 and newer how much were you charged for a tranny fluid change ?
Interesting, i was quoted $299 for my 2015 corolla at the dealer, are they ripping me off?

Interesting... My dealer's front desk person in the Service Department recommended it and then was told by the mechanic that you don't do this on a 2015 with a CVT.

Caution - STEALERship practices detected!!

ToyBoy

I live close to my dealer and while out for a walk I stopped in to ask the price on a brake fluid flush . I had one done about 2 years ago at another source. After giving him my car and mileage info he checked on that and said it was recommended at 60k miles but since I had it done I could hold off on that but gave me a list of other recommendations for 60k miles and tranny fluid was one of them.

ToyBoy

Here is my bill,
ootoztflush default
700099 CSTO $9.96
LCT LABOR COUPON TOYOTA -$17.95
1 3183 BG CVT CUBE $175.00
1 6610 CVT FLUSHKIT $35.04
PARTS: $210.04 LABOR $9.96 OTHER - $17.95 TOTAL LINE A $202.05

LABOR AMOUNT 9.96
PARTS AMOUNT 210.04
MISC . CHARGES -14.70
TOTAL CHARGES 205.30
SALES TAX 14.70
PAY THIS AMOUNT $220.00

The mechanic is wrong (didn't want to bother with it that day ?) and the second dealer is only partially right. The owner manual (maintenance guide) say to change it at 60K but for severe usage. Otherwise, inspect every 30K.
As I understand it, the conventional, 4-speed automatic requires a fluid change at 60,000. The CVT is considered to be a "sealed unit" and the fluid is intended to last the lifetime of the vehicle.

Dealerships will "recommend" a great deal of frivolous services for your car....it's a money game for them. Many dealerships will sell a car at cost to get month end numbers up to get manufacturer's incentives. Dealerships know the money is in the Service Department.

I've followed the Toyota service manual for years and have had several, high-mileage and no trouble vehicles. Be wary of the dealership's"recommend" services.

As I understand it, the conventional, 4-speed automatic requires a fluid change at 60,000. The CVT is considered to be a "sealed unit" and the fluid is intended to last the lifetime of the vehicle.
Actually, "lifetime fluid" is more of a urban legend that is nowhere to be found in Toyota's litterature, possibly coming from the notion of "sealed unit" (most modern transmission, whether AT or CVT, are of that type, without dipstick) and the vagueness of Toyota's own maintenance guides which say the same thing for 4AT, 6AT, 8AT or CVT : inspect every 30K and act accordingly with recommended fluid replacement at 60K for "severe usage". Manual transmission cut those number in half (15K and 30K).
Dealerships will "recommend" a great deal of frivolous services for your car....it's a money game for them. Many dealerships will sell a car at cost to get month end numbers up to get manufacturer's incentives. Dealerships know the money is in the Service Department.
So true !