1.8 Exclusive CVT - Idle RPM Question

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the Forum.

I have a brand new 1.8 Exclusive CVT with 300km \ 186Miles on the clock and have a question,

Once car is at operating temperature after driving for a while,

1. With air conditioner OFF - when stopping at traffic lights and standing still the idle RPM drops to almost 500RPM - the car has a slight vibration (seems normalish) that can be felt - other than that all is okay starting stopping etc....

2. With air conditioner ON - when stopping at traffic lights and standing still the idle RPM drops to just below 500RPM and jumps back up - the car has a very noticeable vibration that can be felt. The RPM moves up and down between 1000RPM and 500RPM with higher than normal vibration and shudders badly when it gets to 500RPM and movs the RPM higher. I can also feel a vibration as I am stopping \ braking the car.

Is this normal does any of your cars do this or does not do this or can someone point me in the right direction as to what maybe the problem?

The sales person I purchased from said I should give the car sometime to adjust and if it continues then he will book it in. I am looking for some help\advice so I will know if they are telling me the truth or not?

All help appreciated.

Thanks,

Hello Donabed Kopoian,

Thanks for the reply.

When you say make them do a warranty on it. You mean fix the problem? \ change the aircon unit?

Thanks,

Essentially - take it in, tell them what the problem is, and let them diagnose and fix it under warranty.

It might be the ECU, the Air Conditioning compressor (unlikely), the idle control circuit, etc. Can't diagnose over the web, but that's what the service department is for.

Hello,

Some feedback,

All checked out on the car - nothing could be found wrong. According to the service technician my car is running normal and he took it for a drive in different conditions.

I asked to check out other cars like mine to see if it is normal and it is exactly the same.

They say it is due to the load of the aircon and alternator. The ECU regulates the RPM and there are no settings they can change.

Also told me as I drive the car it will get better as the car loosens as it is only 500km now.

Thanks for all the replies

DjAnnex- 1200 is way to high of an idle on a warmed up motor.

To the OP- Our new Corolla, also with the CVT has some odd idling too, glad to hear it's normal. Most of the time it's right around 800 like Donabed said though.

Mine (LE Eco base) idle at around 800 rpm. No difference or vibration when AC kick on.

I've noticed, though, thant on Corolla the AC compressor turn on more frequently but for shorter periods than on other models. Could your problem be link to some abnormality in this cycle ?

My Corolla also idles around 800RPM normal however if you stand in traffic and you dont move for say 10 - 20 seconds the RPM starts dropping close to 500RPM this is when the idle causes a vibration with the aircon on - if that make sense.

Feedback, currently doing just over 5000kms with my car. Idle seems to be better. Car must be running in or regulating itself better to the environment. Or I'm just getting used to it :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk!

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the Forum.

I have a brand new 1.8 Exclusive CVT with 300km \ 186Miles on the clock and have a question,

1. With air conditioner OFF - when stopping at traffic lights and standing still the idle RPM drops to almost 500RPM - the car has a slight vibration (seems normalish) that can be felt - other than that all is okay starting stopping etc....

2. With air conditioner ON - when stopping at traffic lights and standing still the idle RPM drops to just below 500RPM and jumps back up - the car has a very noticeable vibration that can be felt. The RPM moves up and down between 1000RPM and 500RPM with higher than normal vibration and shudders badly when it gets to 500RPM and movs the RPM higher. I can also feel a vibration as I am stopping \ braking the car.

Is this normal does any of your cars do this or does not do this or can someone point me in the right direction as to what maybe the problem?

The sales person I purchased from said I should give the car sometime to adjust and if it continues then he will book it in. I am looking for some help\advice so I will know if they are telling me the truth or not?

All help appreciated.

Thanks,

I have a 2012 Corolla S with 43,000 miles and just recently started having the same problems this year with running the A/C on or off. Sitting at a red light, the RPM starts at 900 RPMS and suddenly drops to 600 RPMS almost causing the engine to stall out.

Please let me know what you find out. I thought it might be a ditry fuel injector and bought cleaner for it, but low idle still occurs from time to time. Going to change the air filter next.

koby

City driving my car (with cvt) will idle around 750 ish, after i get off the highway though from my hour commute the idle will drop to 500-600 rpms before adjusting back to around 750 ish. My bet is you are fine and not used to the car adjusting timing settings, my nissan does the same thing with around 120,000 on it and it still runs like a champ.

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the Forum.

All help appreciated.

Thanks,

Yea man my wife's Corolla does the same thing, it kind of worries me for it being a brand new car. It drop down to 500 rpm like you said and vibrates a little and goes back to normal, this usually happens after she gets home from work from her 40 mile highway drive . No new car should do this.

Yea man my wife's Corolla does the same thing, it kind of worries me for it being a brand new car. It drop down to 500 rpm like you said and vibrates a little and goes back to normal, this usually happens after she gets home from work from her 40 mile highway drive . No new car should do this.

If someone has had this problem fixed please let us know what you did or if this is normal

I have a 2015 corolla s with 35,000 miles, yes I drive alot. I am now having the same issue when stopped at red light without AC on my rps drop to 500 and fluctuate to 800.

With AC on little better but still drop to about 600 rpm and the shoots to 800-900 rpm in bout 5 sec cycles.

PLEASE anyone help with answer? It's been to dealership 2times already stating it's fixed and it's not!!

I have a 2015 corolla s with 35,000 miles, yes I drive alot. I am now having the same issue when stopped at red light without AC on my rps drop to 500 and fluctuate to 800.

With AC on little better but still drop to about 600 rpm and the shoots to 800-900 rpm in bout 5 sec cycles.

PLEASE anyone help with answer? It's been to dealership 2times already stating it's fixed and it's not!!
Hey john do you drive a lot of high way miles? I read on a few other forums and have noticed that this usually happens after a very long highway drive like 30-40 miles... Someone stated it just might be you're computer adjusting getting off the highway but to me that just weird and shouldn't happen. What did they say when you went to the dealership?

Hey john do you drive a lot of high way miles? I read on a few other forums and have noticed that this usually happens after a very long highway drive like 30-40 miles... Someone stated it just might be you're computer adjusting getting off the highway but to me that just weird and shouldn't happen. What did they say when you went to the dealership?

I have a 2012 Corolla S with 43,000 miles and just recently started having the same problems this year with running the A/C on or off. Sitting at a red light, the RPM starts at 900 RPMS and suddenly drops to 600 RPMS almost causing the engine to stall out.

Please let me know what you find out. I thought it might be a ditry fuel injector and bought cleaner for it, but low idle still occurs from time to time. Going to change the air filter next.
Well according to Toyota and tech experts this is normal operating for this car. I don't agree with it and may continue the fight to corporate level. No cars rpm should drop like this. The dealership gave me brand new rav 4 to drive and 2016 Camry with no fluctuation in rpms. Just like new car should ride.
I think this is factory issue that hasn't been recalled yet.

My 09 just started doing this. It is unsettling. Has anyone figured out what's going on and more importantly how to fix it? My alternator went bad and I replaced it, the rpm problem seemed to happen after that. Any idea?

1. replace pass side upper engine mount
2. clean tb, make sure to disconnect battery negative about 2-3 minutes in advance and replace air filter if needed
3. have a tech in a garage with scanner to clear any learned adapts in an engine or transmission computers, then relearn
4. use mobil 1 or amazon synthetic or just use the idemitsu oil
5. around 60K miles, replace transmission fluid, takes about two cans to refill, each can is about 75$
6. do the rest of maintenance that is in the owner's manual

hope this helps, that's what I did for resolve low rpm's

When we got our 2015 at like 27k miles it idled weirdly like you mention, never below 500 though.. took it in they said the throttle body was dirty and cleaned it for free as well as reset the computer. Seemed fixed for a while but started up again. Doesnt seem to have any serious issues just a shakey idle.

I've been told 4cyl engines are just unbalanced and have a rougher idle than say a v6, so you feel it sometimes. Duhhno how true that is but eh

It only shakes in drive and at a stop. If I pop it in neutral it steadys the idle at 750ish

Also it's normal for your car to idle high when in park if it isnt at operating temp.. mine sits at about 1.2k on cold starts in park, then drops to 750 in drive gears. Also, I live in Florida

I take it no one has found a fix for those of us that have changed plugs, cleaned throttle body and MAS sensor. I have a few more things to check like bad ground connection, intake gasket and vacuum leaks. I have read on another forum that this can be related to a blown head gasket but that seems unlikely for those that had this issue with new car. I have ran a compression and leak down test and I do not think I have a blown head gasket. Mine is a 2009 Matrix with the 1.8 2ZR FE.

Brian

my 2017 le does the same thing that's the least of your problems Toyota changed my transmission at 18k with a remanufactured one and this trans. is acting up now these cars are overpriced and they sold to many to admit they screwed up now everyone is stuck with them ! Toyota is no longer a dependable car that's the sad truth !

2019 38k miles doing the same thing. Did anyone’s engine fail due to this. Guess no has an answer as to why this is happening.

2018 Corrola, 44 000 miles, same problem. Very annoying.

1. With air conditioner OFF - when stopping at traffic lights and standing still the idle RPM drops to almost 500RPM - the car has a decent vibration (does not seem normalish) that can be felt.

2. With air conditioner ON - when stopping at traffic lights and standing still the idle RPM drops to just below 500RPM for 4-5 seconds and starts vibrating very noticable, then jumps up to 900-1000, stays there for a few seconds(vibrates again but less than when it is at 500rpm) and then drop again to almost 500. It keeps doing that again and again until the break is released.

in both cases If you switch from Drive to any other gear, the RPMs get stable at 700rpms and do not move.

I am interested too if someone managed to get Toyota to look at it seriously. I got to the point where the delership told me to address toyota directly. You will think they should be the ones doing that.

The car does that only after you've drived and then stoped on Breaks, and remain on Drive gear and on Breaks.
If you move from Drive to another gear and then back to Drive, the car is stable.

I have the same problem with my 2015 Corolla CVT, I have taken it to two different dealerships and both say they cant "recreate" the problem. Both times I laughed and said thanks for not checking (Idle with AC off the passenger seat shakes vigorously.) Just my two cents on what the dealership told me...

I have the same problem with my 2015 Corolla CVT, I have taken it to two different dealerships and both say they cant "recreate" the problem. Both times I laughed and said thanks for not checking (Idle with AC off the passenger seat shakes vigorously.) Just my two cents on what the dealership told me...
in my case, they reproduced it. I made a guy sit with me in the car and drive it. But they said there is nothing they can do and that according to them that is a NORMAL behaviour....ridiculous!

JTK

My 2017 's idle was fine until they did a software update. Now the idle drops to slightly above 5000 and the steering wheel vibrates. This started on the way home right after the update and I returned to the dealer. Some guy test drove it with me and felt the vibrations. He took me in another car that had the update and it did the same thing. He said this was normal and if I come back nothing really would be done. He also gave me some bs about never meeting someone who was so attuned to their car that they would notice the engine and steering wheel vibrating. It was a waste of time!