10,000 mile oil change with synthetic oil?

Dirk

So this past weekend I went in for an oil change...20k mile service. Toyota care covered it all which was nice. But the advisor said no need to return for oil change until 10k miles....just come back at 25k for basic stuff like tire rotation and air filter, etc. This Corrola uses 0w-20 i think. It's a synthetic.

Anyway, I've been doing oil changes every 3-5k miles my whole life so this was quite shocking to me.

I wonder if Toyota owners out there disregard this and continue changing oil every 5k or so? Any horror stories about engine problems down the line by waiting so long for a oil change? Just wondering how safe this is because it's totally foreign to me.

Unfortunately, Toyota will not change the oil any sooner under their plan. Been down that road. Of course you can change it yourself at your own service interval. Things have changed over the years regarding synthetic oil and change intervals. The environmental impact of recycling used oil/filters is probably the biggest. Gas mileage/engine efficiency is part of it too (lower oil viscosity). Advancement in synthetic oils and engineering data to support longer life also factor into the equation, as well. A lot of car manufacturers now suggest changing synthetic oil in the 7.5K - 10K mile range. Previously it was 5K miles for synthetic. I personally change my own oil at 7.5K miles. That's one year of driving for me. I'm sure most go to the upper edge of the 10K mile spec. since that's what Toyota recommends.

nmp1

a lot of people think the 10k mile oil change is a big conspiracy theory. i have done 10k mile oil changes since day one and have not found any evidence of oil breakdown or sludge. if you read the manual toyota really only recommends 10k intervals if you are doing almost exclusively highway like i do. no towing, no stop and go, no short trips, no hard driving. i have been running mobil 1 with a toyota filter and will be switching to pennzoil ultra platinum after a recent test showed they are nearly as good as amsoil.

ToyBoy

Under ideal conditions 10k with a good 0-20w synthetic may be ok. I don`t go that long because I try to do anything that will make my car last forever. I change around 6k miles give or take.

As a tech I have smelled the foul black liquid that drains from a 10k interval. I run synthetic and change every 3k. It comes out dirty. Especially considering we do short runs and let the car idle to warm up. Oil is cheap.

As a tech I have smelled the foul black liquid that drains from a 10k interval. I run synthetic and change every 3k. It comes out dirty. Especially considering we do short runs and let the car idle to warm up. Oil is cheap.
Smell doesn’t have anything to do with . lol. It’s not air freshener. If you have doubts send it to lab to get more accurate report.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Simply take note, 10K oil changes. Been there done that, you can change out sooner or later, your option today its OW16 thinner then the 20 , Ask me when I will take that out while we got 3K plus, first change is at the Dealer at 5K per 1st oil change and 10, there after. I am the DIY'er not a bring it in wait 3 hours...., you can simply gt under and take th plug, and totally understand peoples positions in life. and that I respect.

I have a 2017 ram ecodiesel. The interval on that is 10k also but it holds 10.5 quarts. I decided on it to change 2 times a year. If you want to check your oil blackstone labs will send you test kits for free, you pay when you send them the sample. On the ecodiesel forums, the oil analysis shows possible 20k intervals with oils that are considered basic like rotella t6 5w40 and delo 400 5w40. Oils like amsoil may test to go longer