1981 Toyota Corolla Sr5 - No Fuel Coming from Tank

Hi, I have a 1981 Toyota Corolla sr5 with the 3tc. The car was running fine when i put it into storage in October but now it will not start, still in the heated storage area. I have a chilton manual and over the last couple of days have been slowly and systematically trouble shooting the issue. From what I have found, there seems to be an issue with the fuel sending unit/ fuel float in the fuel tank. I am also not 100 percent sure that the fuel pump in the engine bay is alright, because there was no fuel in anything, so does it sound like it could indeed be the fuel sending unit in the tank. And if so, where can I find a genuine replacement part? I have looked pretty hard and have only found a company that ships to other companies in large quantities by sea to have them, I believe it was gasgoo.com, otherwise I have only found a handful of universal ones, the most of which people have said are not worth my time. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks so much, and I am glad to be a part of the Corolla community.

The fuel gague reads 1/4 but has never been accurate. I will try the intake priming bexause if I could get it running that would allow me to better asess what the problems may be. Thanks for the help so far yall, I will post my results

priming might get you going, if not, disconnect the fuel line coming into the intake and put it in a bottle and then crank the car a few times and then see if there is any gas in the bottle.

Pez

OEM Junkie
These old carb'd engines with mechanical fuel pumps can be a bear sometimes and it seems after they sit and the bowl gets dry it feels like forever to get them to fire. That pump is basically there to keep the bowl full and when it has to suck air to get fuel from the tank, especially at less than 200 rpm while starting it just lacks the stones to do it quickly. Not to mention if its a old pump!

But like they said, prime the intake. Aka use ether :thumbdown:. Or remove air cleaner assembly and look into your carburetor you will see a brass tube coming from the left side of your venturi. Pour some gas into that tube and it will fill your bowl.

EDIT: I should mention after filling the bowl wait around 5 minutes before you try and start. Don't want a backfire causing spilled fuel to turn your carb into the Olympic torch.

If priming the intake gets it running for a few minutes but then dies then mechanical fuel pumps are no big deal to change and for $25 for a Carter pump that can most likely be found at any auto parts store. It would be worth a shot to replace the pump to get it running, and allow you to keep looking for a OEM pump.

Filter changing and a fuel tank flush, May be a good step in the right direction. But you could probably get by with just adding a few gallons of premium.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I would replace the mechanical pump. My '82 Mustang GT sat in a garage for a year and I blew up the engine with the exact same symptoms you have (hard starting).

Turns out, the diaphragm ripped and was pouring gas into my oil. Once I got the engine going I was tweaking with the carburetor thinking that was the issue, and when the engine got warm enough to ignite the fuel in the oil, BOOM! Lost the block ... shattered a piston and connecting rod and put a split in the block from the cylinder to the coolant jacket.

Just recently I saved my friend's Cougar from the same fate (didn't see fuel moving in the line, told him to stop trying to start it). Pulled out the dipstick and sure enough, engine oil was fouled with gasoline, replaced the pump and changed the oil, car fired right up.