1987 Corolla LE Wheel Bearings

Hello, first time posting after purchasing a great 1987 Corolla LE couple weeks ago. Really clean and about original 50k miles.

I was hoping someone who has experience could tell me how difficult it would be to replace the front wheel bearings in the car. I'm 100% positive they need replacing due to the sound made while driving. The brakes are tight and solid. I've never done bearings (outside of simple boat trailers), and could use the advise. Shops want $300 a wheel for fronts and I would like to save the $600+ by doing it myself. I have tools and not afraid of anything mechanical, but appreciate replies. Would like to learn.

Thank you. Will post some pics of the car at a later time. Thanks again for any helps!

Last edited:
RWD Corolla, should be easy enough. I know on most RWD cars (from those years anyway) you remove the front hub, pull out the old bearing, pack it, then slide the new bearing in, re-assemble the hub. You don't want to torque down on the castle nut. Usually you put them on hand tight and use the cotter pin to keep the castle nut from backing out, or you risk damaging the bearing.

If they are sealed units, then usually you can pull the hub, place it on the floor, and use a slide hammer to pop the old ones out, then use a plastic hammer to gently tap them into place and torque the hub nut to specification.

I'd pull the wheel off before starting the job, see if it is a sealed bearing or not. If it isn't, you can replace it with the tools you have more than likely, but if it is a sealed bearing, then I'd put the tire back on, go get yourself a slide hammer and a plastic mallet, a torque wrench (if you don't have one) and go from there.

A manual may also help as well.

I tried to find something on YouTube, but pretty much all of the video results were from FWD Corollas.