1987 Corolla - No Start

Okay so having a bit of an issue here with my 4a-lc. Just got done putting everything back together after a head gasket and timing belt and alas it won't start. It cranks but that is ALL. Made sure it was getting gas (you can visibly see gas going through the fuel filter) which you could definitely smell. As far as spark, once I got a spark tester I found that was my issue so to my dismay I had to check the distibutor which was the one part of the car I have the least experience with. Oddly enough with the spark at one point I got a weak spark on 3/4 and nothing on 1/2 but after taking the distributor apart and cleaning all the connections I was back to no spark at all. So since I didn't have a multimeter I took it to the dealership I work at and checked the ignition coils resistance and it tested ~.6ohms (I know multimeter's arnt great below one ohm) so that was within spec and secondary was 8.63k ohms again within spec. So since that was fine I looked up the alldata for testing the ignition control unit/ignitor and brought that home after I bought a multimeter of my own at Walmart. So with that in hand I put the key in on and checked the plug that supplies power to the distributor-12.05v. I also checked the test plug and grounded to the round thing with the ground wires that bolts to the distributor housing (not sure if that was right) and it came out to 12.05v. When I tested the + and - terminals of the coil I got nothing, I mean 0.0v. The instructions said if the coil didn't have power it could be an issue between the ignition switch and the coil and to replace as necessary. Since the female plug had power though wouldn't that mean the issue would be between the female plug and the coil? Anything else would cause this? Kinda having a hard time imagining a 4" bad wire could cause this much hassle.

Last edited:
Oh also forgot to mention I already checked the plug wires and cap all data had me test them together and here are the results 1-5k ohms 2-7k ohms 3-12k ohms 4-15k ohms so nothing exceeded the max 25k ohms they had listed although it seems odd to me the resistance increases steadily after plug 1

Pez

OEM Junkie
I'll take a stab at this, as I've read your post a few times and my old brain is slowly turning over here :laughing:

I'm going with the KISS method here so bear with me. Have you tried pulling a plug wire and checking for a solid blue spark? Aka put a spark plug in and ground it against the head while a buddy cranks it over.

Are your wires in the correct orientation? Is the timing set right?

You sound like you know what your doing its just helps to take a step back and try the little things (or retry)

Plug wire resistance increases greatly with length, that is why #1 is low and it increases as you go to #4 (this is assuming the distributor is at the front of the engine, of course).

Did you remove a ground while doing all the work that you may have forgotten to bolt back up?

Actually number 1 was the longest plug wire and 4 was the shortest so for some reason resistance increased as length got shorter. Yeah pez I tried that and got nothing. Ended up going to the wrecking yard that's MAYBE a mile up my road and picked through a pile of distributors till I found one from an 85 tercel that matched all the numbers and such on mine. Swapped the ignition control module and nothing. Then swapped the coil and distributor position sensor and bam she started firing. Guess I'll never know what it was either then sensor on whose wires had gone so soft like rubber bands or the coil that seemed "good". I could always swap one part and find out but yeah f*** that lol enough time wasted:no::laughing:. Once I got the timing close...ish it fired up decent but idled at ohhhhhh 2500?:eek: got it down to around 900-1200 but since the timing is pretty advanced it stumbles and the exhaust putters and occasionally dies when I'm stopped. Prolly should break out the can of carb cleaner or some sea foam and take the timing back a tooth, but that might not be till saturday since I work till dark and don't have a garage.

Best part was the distributor came with a set of NGK plug wires and they all tested less that 4k ohms so safe to say I swapped them on :thumbsup: