1991 Corolla 4A-FE 5 Speed - No Crank Issue

I've been having an interesting issue with my Corolla. Originally the problem was the starter died confirmed by testing. Simple replace so that wasn't a big deal however about 3 months later I started to get intermittent starting issues.

I would go out to start the car and there would be no crank, you could hear that the solenoid wasn't engaging as well. If you waited anywhere from 10 minutes to 2 hours the car would start.

Temperature or wetness doesn't seem to be a factor. Does it during cold or warm days, rain or shine.

I ended up getting rather frustrated and throwing parts at it as well as looking at wiring. I'm not the only owner of the car by far. The previous owners had installed their own security system as well as various other electronics and they did a very piss poor job.

I ended up taking off the bottom dash which is covering my ignition yesterday to try and get the remains of this security system out. I found that they had spliced the ignition wires at least 4 times with 3 different gauges of wire all crimped in. Some wires weren't even going anywhere and just wrapped with tape.

After I removed everything, the issue changed though. When I go to start the car now 90% of the time the car with not even crank when I first turn the key. If I push the key to the start then let it drop to the on position and wait for around 10 seconds are try again it will start every time.

This is much better then what it used to be doing however i'm pretty baffled at this. I know it's electrical, but i'm no electrician and I know the wiring of the car needs to be redone as well.

How can I track down this faulty wire? Why do I have to wait 10 seconds for the car to start with the key in the on position? Any help would be appreciated.

Background info on the car:

297k miles, Engine and transmission rebuilt around 140k
Starter has been replaced, Starter relay has been replaced, New battery, new terminals on the battery.

Only way would be to get a manual and trace out the starting circuit from start to finish and see where else the moron tapped into the wiring and half-assed it.

The issue was actually withe clutch/neutral switch. Seems after the 10 seconds I would press harder on the clutch to start the car lol...