1993 Corolla Front Struts Problem

hi all, complete newb so bare with me. i have a 93 corolla 1.3 and bought both front struts (no springs just the struts). problem is, 1 is a monroe and seems to be easy'ish to push down by hand. the other is made by boge and seems to be slightly harder to push down. i always thought that both would perform in the same way, but as im not a suspension person i was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this wierd situation. many thanks in advance.....karl:furious:

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Welcome to the Corolla Forum! :thumbup1::clap::thumbup::):party::balloon:

Struts from two different manufacturers are going to be different, just as tires are different, etc.

cheers. it just seems weird that 2 brand new units, made to fit the same car, but 1 is a little bit sloppy compared to the other strut.

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
There are many products that are made to fit the same car; tires, oil filters, air filters, spark plugs, etc., etc., etc., but being manufactured by different companies they are all different.

It is not recommended to use two different struts from two different manufacturers on the same car. This can lead to unbalanced and dangerous handling.

-- Monroe Certified Ride Expert

Who's the guy that actually sold you two struts of a different brand? That is like getting Kevlar brake pads on one side and cheap organic on the other side.

Rule of thumb is to never, EVER, mismatch parts between the left and right side, and to replace those parts together. Always.

Monroe is easier to push down because it is designed for ride comfort.

Boge is harder to push down because it is designed for slightly improved cornering, although springs and sway-bars have a larger impact on the way a car handles than the stiffness of the struts.

front struts

many thanks for your advice guys. i bought them new from a local auto factors, they said that they had 2 types for me and i just naturally assumed they would both perform the same. UN-LUCKY is my new name.

We all learn the hard way at times. Just glad that you posted here before having the headache of having to remove them from the car or worse yet ... a crash.

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
That is indeed very strange that someone would sell you two different struts. They owe you a complete refund, at very least. The way the struts bolt up is the same, but the internal valving and damping for different ride characteristics is what makes them different.

Also closely inspect the strut bearing plates for any binding or noises as they are rotated. If you notice this, they need replacing too and that is not uncommon.

Your car will also immediately need a four wheel alignment after replacing the struts, or the tires will wear out much faster from the car being out of alignment.

-- Monroe Certified Ride Expert

cheers guys.

all sorted now. the old struts are knackered now. pushed the ram in on both and they dont have the strength to pop back up lol. everything stripped, cleaned & greased, drives like a spanker now. many thanks for you help. most helpfull.

all sorted now. the old struts are knackered now. pushed the ram in on both and they dont have the strength to pop back up lol. everything stripped, cleaned & greased, drives like a spanker now. many thanks for you help. most helpfull.
Make sure to have the four wheel alignment done or else you'll be buying tires soon and the fuel economy will also be reduced.

Glad you were able to fix the problem.

Im struggling with uploading 2 photo's of my corolla. all my photos seem to be to big or something, but, just cant get the image to work. any tips would be gratefully received.

oh god yes. its like driving round on monkeys cloud now. thanks for the help by the way, most welcomed info. it was only out a tiny bit but it was enough to make it feel like the camber was slightly off-set.