1994 Fuel Problem

aloha everyone

after changing the transmission pan gasket on my corolla, i had used a pressure washer to clean the engine. the next day when i went to start it up it would start and run for a few seconds then die. figured wet electrical so let it sit some more.

next day it cranked fine and would almost start ( turn on its own maybe 2 revolutions ). used some hot shot and would run long enough just to use it up.

so i checked to see if fuel pump was working and found that it was not turning on. it was receiving voltage and was properly grounded and it was only about 2 months old.

my question, there is a way to troubleshoot pump, fuel relay and sending unit but i cant remember correct order. a friend said fuel relay could be stuck closed and needs to be tripped back open.

does anyone know how to do these procedures? or solutions of your own i could try? any thing short of voodoo will be appreciated.

thanks, lokahi

surf nnw at 5-6 ft
winds sse at 2 knots
temp 78 f

You don't trip relays open. They're sealed units. If they are bad, you replace them.

You need a multimeter. Disconnect your negative battery post and start resistance checking your wires and terminal connections, then hook the battery back up and test voltage accordingly, but chances are, you soaked the engine compartment fuse box and have a short in there.

Whenever you pressure wash, always cover electricals with plastic.

relay

thanks for taking the time to reply however the relay is behind center console next to emc. so i'm pretty sure it isn't a short.

94 corolla

NO it still is not running. when the key is in "on" position, you do not hear the fuel pump start up. the fuel pump is about a year old. I hot wired the fuel pump to the battery and it will start up and i can start the car and it will run fine. however i must disconnect hot wire to fuel pump because the ignition will not turn it off.

I have been hesitant to go after the relay because of its location behind the center console. as a larger person that means taking out the seat etc.

if you have any thoughts on this plan of attack or ideas please let me know. I am pretty handy working on cars but diagnostics is not my best suit.

mahalo for taking the time to respond.

aloha

Ah alright, so then the pressure washing was unrelated to it.

If you are getting voltage at the fuel pump, and the fuel pump works when connected to the battery, then the problem is either a corroded relay (which, again, sealed units, shouldn't happen), or poor wiring/electrical connections. You have to look at the connections for corrosion and check the wire and search for signs of burning or overheating.

Electrical Issues are a pain in the ass. You gotta start at the fuel pump connection and work your way all the way up to the battery before you find the fault.

Hopefully you run into it relatively easily.