1996 Corolla DX Wheel Squeak

I have a 96 rolla and I have developed a wheel squeak on the driver side, it appeared shortly after replacing the wheel bearing on that same side. it seems to be torque related, when I am accelerating and putting power to the wheels the squeak goes away, when I let off the gas it comes back. I checked the brakes and there is no issue there. What does a bad CV sound like? could that be my issue?? any help would be greatly appreciated

Do you happen to have steel wheels with the plastic hub caps?

If so, pull the plastic hub caps off and see if that eliminates the squeak. My 2008 Matrix base did the same thing and I traced it to the hub caps.

I do have steel wheels with hub caps, but the other night when I pulled the wheel to inspect the brakes I left the hub cap off after I put the wheel back on and the squeak was still there. I have also noticed that when I turn right, or away from the side that is squeaking the squeaking stops, then as soon as I am going straight again it comes back, and when I turn right or towards the side that is squeaking the squeak almost gets louder....what does that mean? I don't really want to start throwing parts at it, but it is getting to the point where I am going to have to start doing something.:mad:

how else are you going to fix something with out replacing parts??

And there is no noise when the wheels are not spinning. Bouncing the car gets no noise.

I am going to dig deeper into it tonight and I will update on here if I figure anything out.

Thanks again

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Welcome to the Corolla Forum! :thumbsup::clap::):thumbup::thumbup1::balloon: :rockon:

The way to properly repair a vehicle is by diagnosing the problem and then repairing it. Spending money needlessly on parts ends up with a lot of money wasted, the trash can full of perfectly good parts and the employee's down at the discount auto parts stores laughing at you.

We don't want that for you of course.

A C.V. joint going bad makes a clicking noise, so that's not the problem.

Something, somewhere is loose and moving around. You're going to have to take the time to find it. Physically grab parts and push/pull on them to find where the squeak is coming from.

If you can't find what is causing the noise, it's far less expensive to pay a professional automotive technician to find it and then repair it yourself, instead of doing the very expensive parts replacement routine.

Keep us posted.

Well found the issue, it was in fact the CV, but the wheel bearing that was just replaced was also bad. I could be wrong but I think that the failed CV had enough vibration in it that it caused the wheel bearing to fail prematurely. I went to the local salvage yard today and found a twin to my car (only wrecked) and got a new to me CV and hub and bearing assembly and all my troubles went away. Now I just hope that it remains that way!