1998 Corolla - Hesitation When Cold and Intermittent Upshift Delays

Trying to help my sister. Her 98 Corolla with almost 200K miles is experiencing some severe hesitation on acceleration especially when cold. She leaves the house, drives a few blocks and then when ready to pull out into traffic it will hesitate on her. She has to back off on the gas pedal and try again. Also the same story when leaving work. Apparently the hesitation is still there when the engine is fully warmed up but it's less noticeable. Not sure if this is related but she also complains of the transmission sometimes sticking in 1st or 2nd gear.

One of the auto parts stores tried to scan for an error code in the computer and found only a misfire in cylinder #2 recorded. We replaced spark plugs this last weekend as a starting point as it had been several years since those and the wires had been changed. It seemed to start and idle better but she said the hesitation was still there although not as bad. The plug wires showed no signs of arc burning or deterioration so we left them in for now.

Unsure where to proceed from here. Obviously an older car that she doesn't want to put a lot of money into by randomly replacing parts and hoping to hit the right one. Don't know if we are looking for a bad coil or plug wires or sensor, injector, etc.

She has driven this car for 13 years and has taken very good care of it. I have been very impressed with this little car. No problems with it aside from normal things that wear out such as brakes, struts, light bulbs, tires and so on. I'm sorry to not have more and better descriptions of the symptoms. I keep trying to ask her questions about the driveability issues to give us better clues as to what's going on but she and I talk different languages where cars are concerned.

This is all I have to go on for now. Anybody have any suggestions where I might start looking for the problem? I do not have a factory tech manual for this car so I'm without any type of troubleshooting guide or description of the fuel system. Thanks.

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Welcome to the Corolla Forum! :thumbup1::clap::):thumbup::party::balloon:

Firstly, is the car equipped with an automatic or manual transmission?

What did the old spark plugs look like? I hope you still have them? Look at the chart below -

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/faqs/faqread.asp?mode=nml

What brand and model of spark plugs did you install and what gap did you set them at?

How many miles ago did the car have a tune-up, including fuel filter?

Don't replace parts. All that does is empty your wallet, fill up a trash can with perfectly good parts and make the parts peddler down at the discount auto parts store look great to their boss!

Diagnose.

Thanks for the warm welcome. Forgot to mention the car has an automatic transmission.

The old plugs had been in there for 6+ years and didn't think it would hurt to change them as a first move. They were obviously worn somewhat but were remarkably clean in that there were no signs that the engine was running rich or burning oil. Replaced with Denso #3194 which had twin ground electrodes and gaps preset. The NGK plugs of the same number that they gave me first had a 13/16" hex and a conventional spark plug socket would not fit in the wells. The Denso plugs had a 5/8" hex as did the old ones.

I am unsure at what mileage we last did a tune up but it was over 6 years ago and at that time the plug wires were changed too. Appreciate the mention of the fuel filter as I'm sure I never changed that. She gets her oil changed at one of those Jiffy Lube-like places and they might have replaced the fuel filter at some point. I'll ask her if she knows for sure and if she doesn't, would probably be a good thing to put in a new one. My mechanic buddy said the plug wires could look ok but really not be and suggested I check resistance and see if they all read the same.

Might be a sticky injector too or maybe clogged a bit so that it won't introduce enough fuel when cold. She had a Motor-Vac injector cleaning process done years ago by a mechanic which really perked up the engine performance and maybe it's time for that again. Or maybe like you suggested, the fuel filter could be restricting flow.

I'm with you in that I don't like to blindly start replacing parts until I stumble onto the right one. Really appreciate your reply. Thanks.

Found the problem. Neglected to tell anyone about it

Sorry for not posting the fix for this little car. It seems we had a multiple injector failure which required replacing three of the four injectors. My mechanic buddy worked on it and he initially found one bad injector. I replaced that but it ran worse afterward! Left it at his shop for a week. He cleaned and tested function and spray patterns on each one and also swapped injector positions to see if the problem followed any one to a different cylinder. Never got the same result twice. Exasperated, he replaced two more injectors and that cured it. We are still shaking our heads over that situation.

A month later he had the same problem with a Ford Ranger pickup and ended up replacing all the injectors. He showed me one of the Ford injectors and it bore a striking resemblance to the Toyota ones we put in my sister's car right down to the electrical connector. The Toyota injectors were $130 a piece. The Ford's $40 each. Go figure.

Anyway, little sister is happy. Car runs better than it has for years. Guess she'll keep it a while longer. At least til she hits 200K. Thanks for the advice.

I'm glad you were able to pinpoint the problem. :thumbsup:

Spark plug gap should always be checked before installation. Even if the spark plugs were pre-gapped, during shipping to the parts store the spark plugs are bouncing around and it is not uncommon for the gap to change.

As you unfortunately experienced, fuel injectors can be very expensive. :thumbdown: It can save a lot of money and hassle by regularly using a high quality, proven effective fuel injector cleaner -

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/find/product/api?zo=349698

Very nice fuel economy increases can also be had using AMSOIL P.i. Send me a private message and I'll take care of you. :thumbsup:

Below is a very interesting article on the benefits of using a high quality, proven fuel injector cleaner, including SAE test results. You'll learn a lot from this wonderful article about fuel injection and how to keep your vehicle running in top top shape.

AMSOIL P.i. - A Study in Performance (G2543) (1 MB PDF)

Last edited: