1998 Corolla Jumping After Oil Change

So I know NOTHING bout cars but need help so please be patient with me. Yesterday we had a friend change our oil and brake son our 98 Corolla. This morning when driving the husband to work when we reached 70 it started shaking BAD. So we slowed down but the shake continued but not as bad. I thought it was the tires so I stopped at the gas station to fill with air. I turned the car off. Noticed I was too far away and turned it back on to backed up but it started sputtering and kinda rhythmically jumping. So I turned it off. Tried again same thing. Once I did press the gas it did stop jumping and I was able to back up. Called a tow and when I got the car home it started no problem no sputtering. Its been sitting there all morning. Did some research and called 2 mechanics. Both said it sounds like they put too much oil and I need to drain some out. I called the mechanic and he said he put almost 5quarts but my car only holds 3.7 wit new filter. But he is saying over filling will not affect the car and that these symptoms could not be from over filling. So is he wrong or should I be looking at something else?

Your friend is an idiot. Overfilling the engine can indeed damage it and do the symptoms that are occurring. Check the dipstick and see what it says. If it is overfull, DO NOT DRIVE IT until you drain the excess.

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
Your friend can be to mechanically inclined to think a 1.8 holds 5 quarts and then to tell you that those symptoms are not from his doing this is a classic reason if you don't know how to do it yourself then don't have a buddy of sisters uncles father do it go get it done at a stealership if that's what it takes they may charge you a little more but its a hell of a lot cheaper than a new motor be hopeful you didn't completely blow it up and take that owners manual and read it the amazing info that thing has that people ignore andthen come here and ask a question that is right there

From my website -

1998 TOYOTA COROLLA 1.8L 4-cyl Engine Code [R] 1ZZ-FE

-20 To 100 F......5W-30

CAPACITIES: Engine, with filter..........3.9 quarts [1]
Cooling System, Initial Fill..........5.8 quarts
Automatic Transmission, A131L Initial Fill..........2.6 quarts [2]
Automatic Transmission, A245E Initial Fill..........3.3 quarts
Automatic Transmission, Total Fill
4 speed A245E..........8 quarts
3 speed A131L..........6.1 quarts
Manual Transmission, C59 (5-SPD)..........4 pints
Differential, With 3-SPD AT Front..........3 pints [3]
[1] After refill check oil level.
[2] Final drive is serviced separately.
[3] Final drive with 3 speed Automatic transmission only.

So if 5 quarts of oil was installed in the engine, that's 1.1 quarts too much oil, which can cause engine damage, as the oil can get beaten into a foam by the crankshaft and allow for very rapid engine wear or even possible engine failure.

For anyone to do an oil change and not verify beforehand what the oil capacity of the engine is, is incompetent. To then not check check the oil dipstick to be sure there is an adequate quantity of oil in the engine, (thereby seeing that too much oil has been installed), is even more incompetent.

If the engine has been damaged, (or worse), because of the incompetence of the person doing the oil change, that person is liable and owes you the money for engine repairs or replacement.

Last edited:
Update

Thanks for all the responses.....I dont know much but I know there is a max line for a reason lol. Either way we had the excess drained out and the car is working great now. BUT you do raise a good point about the brakes might not have been done right. Gonna have the hubby take it in to get a full once over.