1998 LE - Speed Sensor Problem

I have replaced the speed sensor(located on the transmission) twice. Both times it appears to solve the problem (transmission erratic shifting, loss of cruise control, etc.) but in short order the symptoms start again. Then sometimes it will work, other times it will not. Could it be a problem in the instrument cluster in the dash? Or ?????????
Help me, please.

Welcome to the Corolla Forum! :thumbsup::):thumbup::clap::thumbup1::balloon::party::rockon:

How many miles are on the car, when did this problem first start occurring and how many miles is it before it reoccurs?

What brand part are you using? A Toyota part or a discount auto parts store part?

Does this problem occur all the time or only when the engine is hot or cold?

Check the wiring, check all grounds and verify they are good before you look for other things to replace (focus on the transmission circuits). It isn't in the instrument cluster or dash.

The failures occur within 50 miles. Problem started at around 85000 miles and now has 86000 miles. The replacements have been from a parts store at +/- $150. I did just salvage an instrument cluster from a junk yard and installed it. So far, the problem has not returned. Keep your fingers crossed.

Thanks for helping

Don't think the instrument cluster is the issue but maybe there was loose wiring back there that got fully connected when you replaced it. Hopefully the car behaves.

The second cluster just went bad, so evidently that isn't the problem. How can I trace the transmission circuits looking for an elusive faulty ground??

You'll have to inspect the wiring for damage and inspect the connectors for a lose or bent pin. Another thing you can do is disconnect the ground on the battery, and then use a multimeter to check the resistance of the wire, and tugging on it while doing so to see if the resistance changes (that signals frayed wiring). You'll want to get the wiring diagram for a manual (or online if you can find it) for the transmission circuit and start checking things out.

Guess I just got in "over my head" with this as I have no idea where to start on checking the transmission circuit. Have been unable to find a diagram on line (not that I would be able to figure it out if I did). My only option appears to be the dealer.....rats.
Thanks for any suggestions and/or help.