1998 - Troubles; Can Someone Help the Gal?

My single parent daughter recently bought 1998, Corolla LE with 148,943 miles. with a 1.8L motor. Recent parts the previous owner added are struts, tires, brake pads, rotors, battery, and calipers.
She has no money to fix anything, so we have to loan it to her (she already owes for buying the car). It would be nice to know both what should be done correctly, but also what can be done cheaply.

Hi, Can anyone help me out with answers to the following? I can follow directions, but am not knowledgeable with part names/numbers, best places to buy stuff, etc.

a. Heater/AC fan works on all settings but makes a terrible racket noise when turned to the first 3 settings, but is quiet on the 4th setting. Might
something have fallen down into it from the inside or outside? Is it something I can take apart and check if there is something stuck in there? How? Or, might the fan be dying?

b. Is there a cabin filter or air conditioning filter in this car? IF so, how to get at it and replace it. Where to find the part number? I've tried an internet search but am confused by the info I found.
Some say there is none and others say there is one or the other type.

c. the plastic trim piece [passenger side] between the side of the windshield and the door window is loose and hanging from the top end. I do not see clips. How to get it to stay where it belongs. Photo attached

d. windshield spray nozzle clips Where to locate part number and parts places at good price? I wasn't getting anywhere on the internet, as I don't know which fits nor what brands to avoid.

e. Rust around the wheel wells. One spot is eating up the metal. Does anyone have experience with a rust converter brand that really works and stays working for a long time. Suggestions where to get a good price on car paint, to cover over the rust eater?

Thank you, Mrs. Marti J.

Attachments

A- check under the cowl cover for leaves and or mice, i have had problems with and heard others talk about heater fans making noise with the prievious generation of corolla. B- I dont think it has a cabin filter,but im not 100% sure of that, if it does it may have collapsed into the fan blades making the noise your hearing. Cant help with the other questions.

Last edited:

fishycomics

Super Moderator
the plastic trim has a clip, that looks like it is attached to the frame of the car. take a tool, remove it and place on the plastic, snap back into place. If not get some Velcro, or double sided tape and press on.

For the cabin filter, they are located behind the glove box, removing is as easy as pulling to you. with engine off you can feel around, there are no propeller blades to hurt you. it is a special fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrGZXDoBQE4

they are all the same principle.

for rust. you have todo some work, that I will leave up to some one else to chime in

a. I'd remove the fan assembly from the HVAC casing. Should be easy to remove from the car once you remove the glove box (typically just four bolts and a connection). Check for play or wear in the bearing. If the fan seems solid, get a flashlight in the cavity and see if leaves or pebbles are in there causing the racket.

b. I don't think the '98 - '02 came from the factory with a cabin air filter, and I'm not seeing a part number from FRAM. There may be other companies that make them (it may even be a dealer only item), but from what I see, it doesn't look like they are available anymore

c. Refer to what fishycomics said.

d. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Windshield-Washer-Nozzle-Corolla/dp/B00JEHCM2O"]Windshield Washer Nozzle from Amazon[/ame]

Before you buy it, try removing them, blowing them with compressed air in the opposite direction from spray, then reinstall. I did this on my '96 Mustang GT and they worked fine again. Just make sure you operate the washer motor with the nozzles removed until the reservoir is empty, so that any particulates that are sitting in the bottom of the tank or in the lines get flushed out, or they will plug up again.

e. There isn't a rust converter per se ... just protectants. You can coat the area in a thick layer of primer and that may do enough to slow the rust down. If it is eating through the metal though, I'd get an estimate from a few body shops, and pick the middle pricing ... because the cheapest estimate will do crap work and the highest estimate is typically a rip-off. Surface rust isn't a big deal, but perforated rust should be taken seriously, as it will diminish the impact the car is capable of taking in an accident.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
The nozzle, blow air in it. do not stick a needle compressed air.

Cabin filter been around in cars back in the mid 90's.research is key. They were much harder to get to back then.

Just to let you know. If you can not hear the noise take a tube and get it near and listen.

How I missed Minnesotta, a Lovely town. The Scenic Biway, Land of the thousand lakes.Got some good memory of the place.

Last edited: