1999 Corolla - Does Your Corolla Burn Oil?

I have noticed since my last oil change that I am burning a quart of oil every 1200 to 1300 miles. Could this be due to the fact that I switched to mobile 1 5w30 full synthetic? The previous owner was using 10w 30. Which viscosity of oil do you use? And is it ok to top off using non synthetic oil in between oil changes? This is for a 99 corolla with 151k.
thanks!

You have the oil burner years ('98 - '02 1ZZ-FE) that are notorious for burning oil. The switch to synthetic may be cleaning up the sludge that causes the oil burning. Keep at it for 5k and see if it improves.

You have the oil burner years ('98 - '02 1ZZ-FE) that are notorious for burning oil. The switch to synthetic may be cleaning up the sludge that causes the oil burning. Keep at it for 5k and see if it improves.
Thanks Donabed. I will do just that. I am currently running Mobil 1 Advance Full Synthetic High Mileage (5w30): http://www.autozone.com/motor-oil-a...ileage-engine-oil-sae-5w-30-1-qt-/835343_0_0/
Do you see any benefits for using a full synthetic high mileage motor oil? I ask because at almost $10.00 a quart its kind of expensive and am wondering if I can get away with using dino to top off in between oil changes?

Last edited:

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Shawn - I can get you AMSOIL for less than that and AMSOIL is the best there is. Many are of the opinion that Mobil 1 is now merely a Group III, "synthetic oil", which is just a regular petroleum oil subjected to more refining. In my opinion, that's not a good value.

Using a high quality synthetic oil in the Corolla for the years 1998-2002 can help to control the noted oil burning problems these engines have when using petroleum oils and lower performing, "synthetic oils". These engines are noted for the problem of the piston oil holes becoming plugged with sludge from the use of cheap oils that don't perform well at high temperatures, (which the piston area is of course), and cause sludge and carbon to build up, plugging the oil holes that provide lubrication to the piston rings. Subsequently, the piston rings then become sludged up and don't seal very well anymore, which allows oil to get past them up into the combustion chamber where it is then burned and sent out with the exhaust.

This problem can get progressively worse with having to add a quart of oil every few hundreds miles. Spark plugs can start to become oil fouled and misfire, with a rough running engine being the result, as well as reduced fuel economy and power. Misfiring spark plugs will send unburned fuel into the exhaust where it then can cause damage to the catalytic convertor, which can be expensive to replace. The oil burning and being sent out into the exhaust can also cause the oxygen sensor to become coated with carbon residue and cause it to fail as well.

If you look in this forum for the 1998 - 2002 Corolla here, you will find quite a bit of information I posted about this noted problem for the Corolla in those years.

AMSOIL Signature Series synthetic motor oils are a true high performance PAO based synthetic motor oil and are very resistant to high temperature sludge build up that competing motor oils are not. With AMSOIL, 25,000 mile/once per year oil changes, (saving money and providing great convenience), have been a reality ever since 1972 when AMSOIL pioneered the synthetic oil industry for cars and trucks with the worlds first 100% synthetic API qualified motor oil and has led the industry ever since.

Below is a video from my YouTube channel that will tell you more. Send me a private message for pricing. I take care of all Corolla Forum members with prices that will make you smile.:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Scott. I will consider Amsoil when I am due for my next oil change. I only require 4 quarts maybe 5 to top off in between drain intervals. I will message you when the time comes. Question, can I purchase 5 quarts or do I have to buy Costco style which is to say in bulk? I am currently using a WIX filter can you supply that as well?

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Hi Shawn.

You can buy one quart if you wish. There are no requirements. For more information, click on the links at the bottom of this message. I'll have your order to you in a few days and many of my California customers receive their orders in as little as the next day from my product distribution center in Reno. I'll even send you an AMSOIL sticker along with your order. :thumbsup:

Yes, I can get you the high quality Wix oil filter as well, or the better AMSOIL Ea Absolute Efficiency oil filter for a lower cost. Using AMSOIL Signature Series synthetic motor oil, the AMSOIL Ea oil filter only needs to be changed once per year or 15,000 miles, whichever comes first, whereas the Wix oil filter needs to be changed at standard intervals, ending up costing you considerably more money and doesn't filter as well as the AMSOIL Ea oil filter.

I have quite a few customers that own Corolla's and so far the highest mileage is approaching 300,000 miles using AMSOIL and 25,000 mile/one year drain intervals. The valve cover gasket for this car was replaced at 250,000 miles + and the interior of the engine was absolutely spotless with no sludge or carbon build up at all. This same car has been using AMSOIL synthetic automatic transmission fluid using 100,000 mile drain intervals and with close to 300,000 miles on the original transmission it shifts smooth as silk and has never needed any repairs.

Per company policy I can't publicly quote Corolla forum members the prices I can get for you, but let's just say I can take care of you. :) I make zero retail profit from any Corolla Forum members. :thumbsup:

Below are two short videos comparing the basic construction of the AMSOIL Ea oil filter and the Wix oil filter -

Last edited by a moderator: