1999 Corolla - Door Handle

Hi everyone,

New here, this is my first post. I have a 1999 Corolla I bought up here in Vermont a few months ago. It only has about 105,000 miles on it but it's a Vermont car - enough said. I'm not particularly mechanically-inclined but I can do some stuff, if I have the time. And, in the interest of not putting too much money into this car, that's what I'm trying to do.

So, here's the issue: The driver's side door handle broke (on the outside). When I pull it, it lifts up but doesn't engage and open the door. I have to go through the passenger side. I want to go the junkyard and get one to replace it, if possible. I have two questions: are there other model years that will have the same door handle as mine, or do I have to find a 1999? And, beyond that, how hard a job is it?

Thanks!

Any handle '98 - '02 should work in theory (same generation and usually door handles are left untouched through a generation, even if there is a mid-generation re-style).

It isn't hard to do, just tedious. You gotta remove the door trim and you're working in a somewhat tight area, but it isn't impossible. Just make sure the window is rolled all the way up before you start and be cautious so you don't slip a wrench off a nut and shatter the window.

Usually it is held on with two nuts and there is a metal rod that attaches to it with a plastic clamp (that is usually what breaks on them).

Hi everyone,

New here, this is my first post. I have a 1999 Corolla I bought up here in Vermont a few months ago. It only has about 105,000 miles on it but it's a Vermont car - enough said. I'm not particularly mechanically-inclined but I can do some stuff, if I have the time. And, in the interest of not putting too much money into this car, that's what I'm trying to do.

So, here's the issue: The driver's side door handle broke (on the outside). When I pull it, it lifts up but doesn't engage and open the door. I have to go through the passenger side. I want to go the junkyard and get one to replace it, if possible. I have two questions: are there other model years that will have the same door handle as mine, or do I have to find a 1999? And, beyond that, how hard a job is it?

Thanks!
Welcome! I am also a Vermonter and have a 99 rolla. You can get the outside or inside door handles pretty cheap on ebay (around $7). They aren't hard to replace and often break.http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
vermont - Welcome to the Corolla Forum! :thumbup1::clap::):thumbup::rockon:

You will find a lot of valuable information for your Corolla here.

With the door handle, if you call a Toyota dealership's Parts Dept., they can tell you how many model years past yours the same door handle was used. They could also order you a new one.

Keep us updated on your progress. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Thanks!
I just bought my 98 corolla from a friend and the car only has 51,000 miles on it. All the inside door handles and 3 of the outside handles were broken. The handles are made VERY cheaply and it's a common problem. I went to Rockauto and ordered all the handles at very reasonable prices. It is somewhat of a pain to change because of the close quarters in the door, but it can be done. Be careful removing the inner door panels as the plastic in the upper panels might shatter if it hasn't already. The 98 thru 02 corollas are known to have very cheap inferior door handles and interior elements.