1999 Corolla O2 Upstream Sensor

Backstory: My check engine light came on and my 1999 Corolla would pull and tug when I accelerated. I ran the scan and the code that came up was P0171 for the O2 sensor. I replaced the sensor hoping to solve the problem.

After replacement, the car does have a little more power upon accelerating, but there is still some tugging and delay. A few days later the check engine light came back on. :(

Are there anymore suggestions on what my issues can be? Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

With the check engine light coming back on, the best thing to do would be to scan the cars computer and find out what the stored trouble code is and proceed from there.

Update: I ran the scan. The code read as P0302. Any idea on what this could be? Is it something that is suggested I try to fix on my own? Again, any help would be appreciated.

http://engine-codes.com/p0302_toyota.html

The P0302 trouble code tells you that the number two cylinder is misfiring.

I recommend starting off by removing and inspecting the spark plug from that cylinder to see if it is fouled or simply worn out.

If you have basic intelligence, tools and like working on your own car, sure you can fix it yourself. :thumbsup:

Let me know what you find with the spark plug. Don't just automatically replace them, as the spark plugs might not be the problem and you'd waste money on new spark plugs and toss perfectly good ones in the trash. A horrendous waste of money.

Diagnose.

Here is a chart showing you the many different spark plug conditions there can be -

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/faqs/faqread.asp?mode=nml

Update: I replaced the spark plugs and the car ran like a champ. Now the engine light came back on, and the car rattles during stops or when idle. But when I accelerate it runs smooth. Any ideas on what it could be this time?

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
What are the trouble codes for the check engine light? You'll need to get the onboard computer scanned to find out what the trouble codes are and then we can go from there. Advance Auto Parts, Autozone, etc., will scan the computer for you for free.

In California and Hawaii it is illegal for parts stores to read codes for a customer. Any other state does this.
By gosh, we need even more laws to take care of us for us! :mad:

Welcome to the, "land of the free". :thumbdown:

We should have laws regulating toilet paper usage, because there is too much waste going on, it's contributing to, "global warming" and we're all gonna diiiieeeee! Run for the hills!!!:laughing: