2001 Burns a Quart of Oil Every 3000 Miles

I'm not a Toyota person, but circumstances surrounding my family's only two cars--a '74 VW Campmobile and a '71 VW Squareback--have forced me to seriously consider a newer car for a while.
We looked at a 2001 Corolla LE today with about 240,000 miles on it. It seemed and drove like a decent enough car with nothing obviously wrong or off about it. The guy selling it said it does burn "about a quart" of oil between changes though. I didn't notice any leaks. The asking price is $2700.

Thoughts? Run away?

That oil consumption is normal.

However, paying $2,700 for a vehicle with 240,000 miles on it is in my opinion, nuts. With almost a quarter million miles anything on that vehicle failing/wearing out can be expected, including the engine and transmission.

Go to --
http://www.KellyBlueBook.com, for realistic values of vehicles.

The oil is OK - but the price isn't

A quart of oil used in 3000 miles isn't bad - although it's probably more than that in actual practice. <g> Probably valve seals rather than rings though - assuming that it's always had good oil and routine changes.

A "decent enough car", or any used car for that matter, is very rarely in truly excellent condition. Much more likely 'fair to 'good' condition.

To me what you describe is a $2400. car LESS the cost of installing a low mileage engine. Which makes it about a $500. car to me. <g> If I was Dying to have it - OK; maybe a grand.

But once you buy it - Do Not Forget who is taking the risks - YOU. So you will want to factor them in ahead of time.

I would be leery of even a Toyota with a quarter million miles on it. Not so leery that I definitely would not buy it - but rather leery enough to want to factor my risk into the purchase price I paid. Somebody can slam a used engine in there in two days - that part doesn't bother me. Who is paying for it does though. <g>

He is likely asking $2700. privately because the dealership offered him $900. for it as a trade-in. <g>

PHM
------

I'm not a Toyota person, but circumstances surrounding my family's only two cars--a '74 VW Campmobile and a '71 VW Squareback--have forced me to seriously consider a newer car for a while.
We looked at a 2001 Corolla LE today with about 240,000 miles on it. It seemed and drove like a decent enough car with nothing obviously wrong or off about it. The guy selling it said it does burn "about a quart" of oil between changes though. I didn't notice any leaks. The asking price is $2700.

Thoughts? Run away?

Ha! Seems so long ago.
No, for various reasons including this thread but also that the guy was a total freak, we didn't get the Corolla. We got an '03 Subaru Baja instead.

No, but when we told him the bank would like to see the title before they gave us a loan he said that was the "most ridiculous thing" he'd ever heard. He'd sold "dozens of cars" and never once had a bank asked to see a title.

Yeah, we passed.