2001 Corolla - 1ZZ to 2ZZ?

I came here in need of some advice and help. The engine in my wife's 2001 Corolla just crapped out, and we're looking at getting a used engine to put in it. We don't want to spend a lot of money right now to get the car back up and running, hence the reason for going with a used engine. I plan on doing the swap myself to save a little on cost, which doesn't bother me in the least.

My question is, are the 1ZZ-FE and 2ZZ-GE interchangeable? I know I will need to reuse many of the ancillary parts from the 1ZZ, but I need to know if I'm going to run into any problems getting the car back up and running? From what I've seen, it looks like they're very similar with only minor changes. I've had trouble finding sufficient information on this though.

We managed to find a running, 61k miles, 2ZZ engine for $900, and we'll get a limited warranty with it. The only other one I found within a reasonable distance was a 160k miles 1ZZ for $600. To me, the newer 2ZZ with lower miles for only $300 more sounds like a better deal.

I know putting a used engine in could be sketchy, but we want to avoid paying for a new or rebuilt engine at this point since we'll likely be looking at getting her a new car in the next year. After that, I'll likely use the car as a commuter to keep miles off both of my cars, as long as it's still in good running condition.

I also plan on doing some other routine maintenance while I have the engine/transaxle out. So, if anyone can think of anything specific points I need to check while I have the drivetrain out, I would greatly appreciate knowing what to look for.

Thank you for the reply, though the site didn't really offer me much help on finding another engine. I did a lot of searching for decent 1ZZ engines prior to my post and wasn't able to come up with any viable, cost-effective options. Even finding a 2ZZ that wouldn't cost me as much as a new or rebuilt one after having it shipped has been difficult. That is why I've been looking into buying the used 2ZZ from the local salvage yard. But, I still haven't been able to find a definitive answer on wether or not the 2 engines are interchangeable. It's a moot point right now anyways, as the wife has decided to go ahead and get a new car now.

So, the Corolla is going to go into storage for the time being, and I'll end up rebuilding the engine myself down the road. Once I get it back up and running we'll use it for daily driving and errand running to keep miles off of the other four as well as help save some on gas when I need to use a car to commute.

They won't be. Different harness. The transmission is the same I believe, but the wiring won't match.

Also, 1ZZ uses hydraulic power steering and has the mounting hardware for it.

2ZZ uses electric power steering and thus lacks the mounting hardware.